OPINION: Students express dissatisfaction after Saturday’s 31-10 loss to Mississippi State

0
1164
The Kansas State University Wildcats played the Mississippi State University Bulldogs at Bill Snyder Family Stadium on Sept. 8, 2018. The Wildcats lost the game 10-31. (Justin Wright | Collegian Media Group)

It’s no secret that K-State football is the highlight of the week for many. After a poor showing two weeks in a row, what could have been seen as being unprepared in the first week could be a sign of how the season will unfold.

Meghan Clark, sophomore in electrical engineering, attended both games and doesn’t feel like she has seen any improvement from week one to week two.

“There were many times when we had a receiver that was open downfield to receive a pass but the quarterbacks wouldn’t throw it,” Clark said.

In the first two games, sophomore Skylar Thompson and junior Alex Delton both played at quarterback. Head coach Bill Snyder has yet to disclose his decision on who will get the starting bid for the rest of the season.

At this point, Jarod Kullberg, sophomore in open option, said he believes “we need a front-running quarterback.”

Seth Hensarling, junior in civil engineering, doesn’t want to count Delton out yet.

“We had fewer turnovers, but Delton threw an early pick which was a shame to see,” Hensarling said. “If they do decide to play Delton, I would like to see him not turn it over and come out with a win.”

In the coming weeks, the K-State offense will need to come alive to be successful. Jordan Reinert, junior in agribusiness, said K-State needs to capitalize on positive plays and the mistakes of the other team, like the 11 penalties Mississippi State collected that resulted in a loss of 84 yards.

With all the penalties in week one, the Wildcats did show some signs of improvement in their second matchup. In week one, K-State earned 13 penalties for a loss of 129 yards. In week two, K-State earned just two penalties for a loss of 15 yards.

In order to have a chance at winning, Clark said the Wildcats “need to learn to work together for the common goal because I haven’t seen that yet this season.”

In week three, the Wildcats will host the University of Texas at San Antonio Roadrunners on Saturday at 3 p.m.

I'm Molly Hackett, the assistant sports editor this semester. I attended St. James Academy just outside of Kanas City for high school and I am currently a junior in mass communications with an emphasis in digital media and a minor in business. In my free time, I love to ride my moped, spend time with friends and family, play sports, drink coffee and take naps.