K-State offense resets as UTSA comes to town

0
436
The Kansas State University Wildcats played the Mississippi State University Bulldogs at Bill Snyder Family Stadium in Manhattan, Kansas on Sept. 8, 2018. The Wildcats lost the game 10-31. (Justin Wright | Collegian Media Group)

The Kansas State football team will try and rebound off a 21-point loss as they host the University of Texas at San Antonio Roadrunners this Saturday.

At Tuesday’s weekly press conference, head coach Bill Snyder and players spoke about trying to do all the little things right, especially on the offensive side of the ball.

Through two games this season, the Wildcats have just two offensive touchdowns, both of which are passing touchdowns.

Senior offensive lineman Dalton Risner spoke to the media on Tuesday about the running game and how it can improve.

“This falls on all our shoulders,” Risner said. “It’s not just the quarterback, or the running backs or the lineman. This is an issue all of us are facing and we know that. This is a team sport so it’s all our faults, but that’s what makes teams sports fun. We are playing for each other and we’re going to keep fighting.”

K-State has yet to have that big play that seems to spark the offense, which is one thing that junior wide receiver Dalton Schoen has realized.

“Those big home run plays can spark us, but we also just need some good drives,” Schoen said. “We’ve been getting to mid-field and stalling out and that’s something we need to change.”

With a 1-1 record after Saturday’s loss to Mississippi State, K-State is trying to get back in the win column before it begins Big 12 play on Sept. 22. The Wildcats are currently 1-1 and have not had great execution so far this year.

“Guys haven’t been as physical as we need them to be,” Snyder said. “It’s a lot of little things—well I say little things, but they become big things—that we need to correct. It’s easy to get lulled into bad habits if you don’t go through the process every single day.”

Snyder said he knows that UTSA is a much improved team than the one his team played in a 30-3 win against the Roadrunners in 2015.

“They have a lot of new players and that shows week-in and week-out they will keep getting better,” Snyder said.

Snyder also announced that sophomore Skylar Thompson would be the starting quarterback on Saturday, but explained that the position is not set in stone.

“Skylar will start for us it appears at this point in time for this particular ballgame. I don’t think anything is ever totally cut and dry.”

Junior quarterback Alex Delton has also gotten playing time this season. On Tuesday, Snyder was asked what separates the two quarterbacks.

“Not a great deal,” Snyder said. “Probably in the last ballgame, Alex had a turnover, just a bad decision on his part. There isn’t one single criteria that I say, this made the difference.”

The head coach also explained how one loss isn’t the end of the world and shouldn’t be to these young players either.

“It is a great lesson for them to find out the growth,” Snyder said. “It’s not what happens to you, but how you respond to it. There are worse things in life than losing a football game and some guys have suffered in life already. I mean yes I am angry about it, but it’s all about how we respond to it.”

The Wildcats will have their chance to respond on Saturday, kicking off against the Roadrunners in Bill Snyder Family Stadium at 3 p.m. Saturday. The game will be broadcast on Fox Sports Network.

Editors note: A previous version of this article misquoted a paraphrase of Coach Bill Snyder’s words on K-State football’s quarterback situation as his statement. The story now shows Snyder’s exact statement on the matter.