K-State volleyball takes winning streak north for Gopher Fall Classic

0
72
Redshirt sophomore middle blocker Peyton Williams and redshirt senior outside hitter Kylee Zumach focus before the saturday night match against Omaha. K-State would go on to win 3-0. (Alex Masson | Collegian Media Group)

Riding a seven-match win streak, the Kansas State volleyball team will travel to Minneapolis, Minnesota over the weekend to compete in the Gopher Fall Classic against the University of Wisconsin-Green Bay and the University of Minnesota.

K-State is off to a great start this season with a 9-1 overall record behind seven-straight wins. The Wildcats are averaging 14.5 digs and 2.6 blocks per set.

The Wildcats have a different player leading each statistical category. Redshirt senior outside hitter Kylee Zumach has 132 kills and redshirt junior setter Sarah Dixon has 397 assists. Redshirt senior defensive specialist/libero Devan Fairfield has totaled 113 digs.

Seniors outside hitter Alyssa Schultejans has 15 service aces and middle blocker Macy Flowers has 33 blocks on the season for K-State.

Friday’s match will be against Green Bay. The Phoenix are 5-5 so far this year, winning four of their last six. The Phoenix are 1-2 in away matches and 4-3 at neutral sites. They have collected 471 kills and a .216 attack percentage.

Sophomore setter Taylor Wolf leads the Phoenix with 4.86 kills per set. Junior setter Maddie Yoss has totaled 370 assists this year and averages 10.57.

On Saturday, K-State will face No. 7 Minnesota who is 5-2 and has been on the losing end of its last two matches. The Gophers have averaged 12.8 assists per set go along with 30 aces overall.

Minnesota has a .303 attack percentage with 14.4 kills per set and 346 total kills. Sophomore outside hitter Stephanie Samedy has 80 kills for the Gophers. Freshman defensive specialist CC McGraw leads the team with 82 kills. Sophomore middle blocker Anna Eaton has 25 total blocks for Green Bay.

This will be the last competition the Wildcats see before starting Big 12 conference play. Friday’s match against Green Bay is set to begin at 7 p.m. and the match on Saturday against Minnesota is scheduled for 7:30 p.m. Fans can listen to both match on KMAN radio, and the match versus Minnesota will air on the Big Ten Network.

After this weekend, K-State’s next match will be against the Texas Longhorns in Manhattan at Ahearn Field House. That match is scheduled for Sept. 19 at 6 p.m.

This account was generated by Camayak on 2017-09-06, please refer to http://support.camayak.com/connect-your-camayak-account-to-your-existing-wordpress-account/ if you wish to delete it.