K-State soccer falls to Missouri State 1-0

0
43

Frankly, Kansas State dominated the first half—as much as you can without scoring—in a 1-0 loss to Missouri State on Friday night at home. Unfortunately for the Wildcats, the Bears snuck a goal in the second half.

Despite K-State’s defense, it would be Missouri State that would score first. Their first shot of the game came in the 63rd minute. Junior defender, Brittney Robinson knocked in a goal off a Missouri State corner kick.

“It’s a cruel game, and today showed why,” K-State head coach Mike Dibbini said. “We played a pretty decent game, we just couldn’t execute our chances and they punished us.”

Sophomore goalkeeper, Emma Malsy had a relatively easy time in the first half; Missouri State failed to force her into making a save.

K-State’s junior forward Katie Cramer, sophomore midfielder Brookelynn Entz and sophomore defender Aly Rocha each tallied three shots in the first half and Rocha had two on goal.

K-State’s first scoring chance of the game came early when Entz fired one off the crossbar in the sixth minute.

Just a few minutes later, a Missouri State defender blocked her second shot of the game. The ball landed at the feet of junior midfielder Laramie Hall, who followed up with a shot straight to Missouri State goalkeeper Kaitlin Maxwell.

The Wildcats and Bears entered intermission tied 0-0.

In the second half, K-State managed to push deep into Missouri State territory before being turned away by the Bear defense without a meaningful shot.

In the 71st minute, K-State had the chance for an equalizer, but a shot from Cramer sailed wide to the left of the goal.

Other than that opportunity, the Wildcats spent most of the second half coming up just short of having scoring opportunities.

K-State got one final attempt in the 89th minute when a liner headed to the back of the net by Entz but was caught by Maxwell. That shot was part of a flurry of shots by Entz.

“Now that I think back of the opportunities that I had, I definitely feel like I should have put some away,” Entz said. “I had lots of chances, but I didn’t put any away, so I’m really disappointed in myself.”

Missouri State ended up with only two shots on the match with only one being on-target, resulting in the game’s lone goal.

“That’s just how the game of soccer is, sometimes one team can dominate the game and not score any goals and the other team gets on chance and they put it away. That’s just how it goes, that’s how it was for us today,” Entz said.

The Wildcat’s final match of the non-conference slate will be an away match at Tulsa. The Hurricanes are 3-3-1 on the year, including losses to Rice and Missouri State.

“We do have a game against Tulsa Sunday and we have to get a win there, I mean we just have to,” Entz said. “We have to get a win under our belt before we go into the Big 12 because the Big 12 is tough.”

The game will be streamed live for subscribers to Tulsa’s HurricaneVision and will be broadcast on 101.5 KROCK.