Soccer to host Missouri State today

0
33
Freshman forward Chloe Fisher attempts to juke a UMKC defender during the Sept. 7 game against UMKC. K-State would go on to lose the game 3-2. (Alex Masson | Collegian Media Group)

Kansas State soccer will host the Missouri State Bears out of the Missouri Valley Conference for their eighth game of the season.

The Wildcats started out their season with a program-best record of 3-0. Since then, the Wildcats have lost two games and tied two games to make their season 3-2-2.

They haven’t won a game since Aug. 23, but head coach Mike Dibbini said he thinks his team is “hungry for their first win in three weeks.”

“It has been an interesting season,” Dibbini said. “We’ve been tested, we have had the opportunities to win games based on what they did in the previous season and going into this season. So we’re talking about conference champions from the previous season or NCAA tournament teams – especially the last four game[s]. So we were just having to go through some adversity, but we’re ready to bounce back.”

The Bears will come into Manhattan with a 5-4 record, coming off a loss to Saint Louis. The Bears have been a good road team so far this season, with a 3-1 road record. Their loss to Saint Louis was their first road loss of the season.

The Wildcats have been good at home, holding a 3-1 home record with their only home loss against UMKC in their last home game.

Despite the current three-week winless drought, Dibbini said he thinks his team is still “filled with confidence” going into this game.

“We’re creating chances, we just need to do a better job executing our chances — obviously you got to score goals to win games,” Dibbini said. “There was a couple of times we scored goals, but we didn’t score enough goals. I think once we get back to that routine of playing the game for 90 minutes offensively and defensively, and getting that next win that is going to give us confidence going into the next game.”

Against Missouri State Friday, Dibbini wants his team to go out and “play a complete game from start to finish.”

This game will begin at 7 p.m. at the K-State soccer complex. The game will be televised on FCS Pacific and K-State HDTV. The game will also be available on air on 101.5 KROCK.