Women’s golf determined to improve following performance at Mary Fossum Invitational

0
30

The Kansas State women’s golf team participated in the Mary Fossum Invitational over the weekend. The invitational, which was hosted by Michigan State, took place at the Forest Akers West Golf Course in East Lansing, Michigan.

Saturday was the first day of the invitational, and it featured two rounds. In round one, the Wildcats carded a score of 28-over-par 310, then improved their score in the second round to a score of 27-over-par 309.

With round three to come on Sunday, K-State stood at 14th place with a score of 43-over-par 619.

Head coach Kristi Knight seemed disappointed when talking to K-State Sports after Saturday’s outing, saying “not a whole lot went well today,” and added that the team would have to bounce back on Sunday.

Sophomore Reid Isaac was the bright part of the day for the Wildcats on Saturday. She led the team with a score of 5-over par 149 to put herself in a tie for 32nd place heading into the final round.

The next best Wildcats through the first two rounds were senior Chloe Weir and sophomore Niamh McSherry. Both shot 11-over-par 155 to put themselves in a tie for 60th place on Saturday.

On Sunday, McSherry led the way for K-State by scoring 7-over-par 79 in the final round. She finished the invitational with a score of 18-over-par 235 to finish in 66th place.

Isaac finished the invitational at the top of the leaderboard for the Wildcats with a score of 13-over-par 229, tying for 52nd place.

Coming in next tied for 74th place were Weir and freshman Briony Bayles, who both carded a 24-over-par 240. Sophomore Darby Deans rounded out the K-State competitors, scoring a 35-over-par 251 which tied her for 87th place.

As a team, the Wildcats left Michigan with a score of 78-over-par 942 to finish in 15th place. Their final round team score on Sunday was 35-over-par 323.

The University of Virginia won the invitational, finishing with a score of 7-under-par 857.

Knight seemed determined to improve.

“We did not do anything well today,” she said to K-State Sports on Sunday. “We did not coach well or play well enough. We can — and we will — be better moving forward.”

The Wildcats will compete next at the Lady Paladin Invitational in Greenville, South Carolina, on September 21-23, hosted by Furman University.