Buy local: Britt’s Farm is a must visit location this fall

0
66
Sunflower heads cut at Britt's Farm. Although their sunflower patch is now closed for the season, they are going to be hosting their pumpkin patch beginning the 22 this month. (Katelin Woods | Collegian Media Group)

On the southwest outskirts of Manhattan resides the Britt family’s third-generation family farm. They offer a wide array of products from Apple Hickory BBQ Sauce to raw honey, along with a small-town atmosphere.

“Britt’s establishes that small-town and family feeling,” said Adam Barbee, senior in agribusiness and Britt’s Farm employee. “It’s a nice family. They treat me as their own.”

Britt’s offers an array of products including grass-fed beef and jams, but by far their most popular attractions are their sunflower field and pumpkin patch.

Photographers and families flock to Britt’s to use this local field as a photo backdrop.

2017 was the first year Britt’s Farm grew sunflowers. The public response to this was overwhelmingly positive, so the family decided to continue.

Not only do the sunflowers draw in community interest, but they also support their bee hives and the environment.

46E42462-E506-4F85-AD76-4C2BA8766D2F.jpeg
Corn resting at Britt's Farm market store. Their pumpkin patch opens the 22 of September. (Katelin Woods | Collegian Media Group)

The sunflower field is now closed, but possible visitation extensions may be provided on Britt’s Farm Facebook page, and now that the sunflower season has ended, Britt’s offers “a huge selection of pumpkin, gourds, Indian corn, corn stalks, mini straw bales and straw bales to satisfy any decorating needs,” which are all available for purchase the family’s store.

The pumpkin patch opens the Sept. 22. Dates of availability vary and are provided on their online calendar at http://www.brittsfarm.com/pumpkin-patch-information.html.

Fall also brings the arrival Britt’s Farm’s Fall Fun Zone. This Fun Zone consists of corn mazes, jumping pillows that support big and small kids alike, hayrack rides, a petting zoo, a tractor train ride, potato cannons and more.

Britt’s is offering opportunities for field trips to the surrounding school districts and to individuals who are homeschooled. On Oct. 4, they are hosting Homeschool Day “for those whose family or group would not be large enough to qualify for a reserved field trip.”

“Shopping local supports small business,” Barbee said. “It helps the community as a whole.”

Katelin Woods
Hey! I am a regular contributor to the culture and multimedia desks for the Collegian. I am a junior in theatre and public relations, with an outside concentration in psychology. I am an enthusiast of a poetry, pizza roll, and pajamas. When I'm not in the newsroom, I'm visiting kittens at pet stores, wishing pet deposits weren't a thing. You can Venmo this broke college student at @Katelin-Woods-2 to fuel my pizza roll addiction.