K-State volleyball falls in five sets to No. 5 Texas

0
66

The K-State volleyball team forced the No. 5 Texas Longhorns to a fifth set but could not beat the Longhorns in a 2-3 loss Wednesday night at Ahearn Field House.

Going into the match, K-State had won their last eight games after beating Green Bay in four sets over the weekend. Texas entered the night with a 5-3 record, but their three losses came to top-10 teams.

In the all-time series between the Wildcats and Longhorns, Texas leads the series 39-7 going back to 1981.

After this loss to Texas, K-State is now 10-2 overall and 0-1 in conference play. They had their eight-game win streak snapped and drop their home record against the Longhorns to 4-19.

K-State won the first set against Texas 26-24 while having only 18 kills to the 21 from Texas. The Longhorns had three blocks and a hitting percentage of .581. Both teams had three attack errors.

In the second set, the Longhorns went ahead 10-5. Texas had 17 kills before winning the set 25-19. Each team had two service aces and 33 attack attempts.

Texas was able to pull away by eight points in the third set to beat K-State. They were able to hold the Wildcats to just .095 percent hitting during this third set and total a .379 hitting percentage as a team. K-State had eight attack errors.

After being down two sets to one, the Wildcats were able to claim the fourth set of the match 25-18 to tie it up and force a fifth set. K-State collected a hitting percentage of .216 while holding Texas to just .079. There were 24 total kills in this set.

Texas claimed the match in the fifth and final set by a score of 19-17. They ended the set with a .355 hit percentage and three blocks to go along with 14 kills.

Overall, the Longhorns outscored the Wildcats 92-80 for the full match. K-State had 66 kills but 23 attack errors. The match saw 11 service aces and 18 blocks.

The next match for K-State will be against Oklahoma in Norman on Friday. The Sooners are 8-5 and 0-1 in Big 12 play. They were swept by TCU Wednesday night in three sets. Oklahoma allowed 59 points in three sets and had nine attack errors. They had 44 kills and a .315 hit percentage against the Horned Frogs.

The match is scheduled to begin at 7 p.m and fans can listen on KMAN radio.

This account was generated by Camayak on 2017-09-06, please refer to http://support.camayak.com/connect-your-camayak-account-to-your-existing-wordpress-account/ if you wish to delete it.