Tuesday is National Voter Registration Day. Here’s where you can register on campus

0
74
(Photo Illustration by Hannah Greer | Collegian Media Group)

Tuesday is National Voter Registration Day, and K-State Votes will hold a registration drive all around Kansas State’s Manhattan campus that day.

Hayley Spellman, governmental relations chair and senior in political science and communication studies, said the campaign is a collaborative effort between the Student Governing Association, assorted faculty, the League of Women Voters, Loud Light, Leadership Studies’ HandsOn, the Institute for Civic Discourse and Democracy and Housing and Dining Services.

“It’s important to start a conversation at the peer-to-peer level and Tuesday’s [voter registration drive] is a great opportunity to do that,” Spellman said. “It makes the students we engage with more comfortable when talking about politics, elections and voting, and we hope they continue these conversations with their own friends and family.”

There will be eight locations across campus for students to register at. The first, inside the K-State Student Union, will open at 8 a.m. and run until 5 p.m, and another in Bosco Plaza will run during the same time frame.

Inside the Engineering Complex, near the Radina’s, there will be a booth open between 1:00 and 4:30 p.m.

Between 9 a.m. and 4 p.m., there will be a booth in the lobby of Waters Hall and another in the College of Business atrium.

From 9:00 a.m. to 2:30 p.m., a booth will be set up at Nichols Hall. Another booth will be open from 9:00 a.m. until 3:30 p.m. in the Staley School of Leadership Studies.

Lastly, an afternoon table will be open from 4:00 p.m. until 8:30 p.m. on the south entrance of Chester E. Peters Recreational Center.

Students must bring a valid identification card, such as a driver’s license or Kansas ID. If they do not have photo identification, they must provide the last four digits of their social security number. Residents must register every time they move, change their name or change their desired political affiliation.

To verify your voter status in the state of Kansas, go to the My Voter Registration section on the Kansas Secretary of State website. To vote in the gubernatorial election on Nov. 6, you must be registered by Oct. 16. The last day to request an absentee ballot if you desire to vote in your home district is Oct. 31.

My name is Kaylie McLaughlin and I'm the managing editor and audience engagement manager of the Collegian. Previously, I've been the editor-in-chief and the news editor. In the past, I have also contributed to the Royal Purple Yearbook and KKSU-TV. Off-campus, you can find my bylines in the Wichita Eagle, the Shawnee Mission Post and KSNT News. I grew up just outside of Kansas City in Shawnee, Kansas. I’m a senior in digital journalism with a minor in French and a secondary focus in international and area studies. As a third-generation K-Stater, I bleed purple and my goal is to serve the Wildcat community with accurate coverage.