After big upsets in week 4, here are this week’s Big 12 power rankings

0
504
Senior quarterback Will Grier throws the ball in West Virginia's football game against K-State on Saturday. The Wildcats fell to the Mountaineers 35-6. (Courtesy photo from The Athenaeum)

The 2018 Big 12 football season is shaping up to be an interesting one. Last weekend, Texas upset a ranked opponent for the second week in a row, and Texas Tech turned some heads in a dominating upset, all while Heisman hopeful quarterbacks Will Grier and Kyler Murray shined again.

In week five, half of the Big 12 will be looking for their first conference win and the Big 12 will see its first Top 25 conference matchup.

10. University of Kansas (2-2, 0-1)

Kansas’ winning streak came to an end on Saturday after losing to Baylor 26-7.

The defense could not contain the Bears’ offense, allowing 447 yards. The Jayhawks offense only gained 271 total yards, and 90 of those yards came off their only touchdown drive of the game.

Running back Pooka Williams Jr. leads the Big 12 in rushing yards per game (125.7), but Baylor held the true freshman to just 89 yards. Quarterback Peyton Bender threw for 105 yards and one touchdown.

Kansas will be looking to get its first Big 12 win of the season and first conference win since 2016 when it hosts Oklahoma State on Saturday. Kickoff is set for 11 a.m. on the Fox Sports Network.

9. Baylor University (3-1, 1-0)

As previously mentioned, Baylor defended its home turf and defeated Kansas soundly with a score of 26-7 last Saturday.

In the win, quarterback Charlie Brewer threw for 221 yards and three touchdowns.

The Baylor defense dominated the Jayhawks all afternoon as it recorded four sacks and nine tackles for losses.

The Bears will be looking to stop quarterback Kyler Murray and undefeated No. 6 Oklahoma in Norman, Oklahoma, at 2:30 p.m. Saturday on ABC.

8. Iowa State University (1-2, 0-1)

Iowa State wrapped up non-conference play with a 26-13 victory over Akron.

Quarterback Zeb Noland threw for 233 yards and one touchdown, and wide receiver Hakeem Butler had 12 receptions for 88 yards and a touchdown.

Placekicker Connor Assalley made four field goals for the Cyclones and accounted for 14 points.

Former starting quarterback Kyle Kempt is still questionable as of Tuesday, but is making progress in returning soon for the Cyclones.

The Cyclones will travel to Fort Worth to face TCU on Saturday at 6 p.m. on ESPNU.

7. Kansas State University (2-2, 0-1)

The Kansas State offense struggled yet again on Saturday, mustering just two field goals in a 35-6 loss on the road at West Virginia.

The offense has been a topic of concern all season long. At Tuesday’s press conference, head coach Bill Snyder mentioned that it is likely that both quarterbacks— Skylar Thompson and Alex Delton — will play on Saturday against Texas.

Wide receiver Isaiah Zuber leads the offense in receiving with 24 receptions for 356 yards and three touchdowns through four games. Linebacker Da’Quan Patton is leading the defense in tackles with 22 tackles this season.

The Wildcats will play Texas in their Big 12 home opener on Saturday at 2:30 p.m. on FS1.

6. Oklahoma State University (2-2, 0-1)

Oklahoma State entered Saturday’s contest against Texas Tech ranked No. 15 before being stunned 41-17 by the Red Raiders to open Big 12 play.

Running back Justice Hill ran for 111 yards and one touchdown, as the Cowboys were held to 386 yards and surrendering 621 yards to Tech.

Oklahoma State will travel to Lawrence to face Kansas at 11 a.m. Saturday on the Fox Sports Network.

5. Texas Christian University (2-2, 0-1)

TCU was dominated in a 31-16 loss to in-state rival Texas on Saturday.

Quarterback Shawn Robinson threw for 197 yards and one touchdown, but threw two interceptions and lost a fumble, amounting a QBR of just 37.0. The Horned Frogs only managed to score one touchdown and turned the ball over four times.

TCU will look to bounce back as it hosts Iowa State in Fort Worth on Saturday at 6 p.m. on ESPNU.

4. No. 18 University of Texas (3-1, 1-0)

After upsetting USC two weeks ago, the Longhorns played spoiler once again in a dominating 31-16 victory over then-ranked No. 17 TCU.

Quarterback Sam Ehlinger threw for two touchdowns and ran for one in the opening Big 12 contest for the Longhorns. Wide receiver Collin Johnson had seven receptions for 124 yards and one touchdown.

The Longhorns will be looking to win on the road against K-State for the first time since 2002 on Saturday at 2:30 p.m. on FS1.

3. No. 25 Texas Tech University (3-1, 1-0)

Texas Tech dominated Oklahoma State on Saturday, defeating the then-No. 15 Cowboys on the road in Stillwater, Oklahoma, 41-17.

True freshman Alan Bowman is showing that he is the next big arm at Texas Tech after throwing for 397 yards and two touchdowns. Running back Demarcus Felton rushed for 130 yards and two touchdowns.

The Red Raiders are showing they can beat teams in a variety of ways with a strong aerial attack and a threatening ground game. Through four games, they have passed for 1,743 yards, which is first in the Big 12. They have run for 751 yards — fifth in the conference — and scored a league-best 16 rushing touchdowns.

Texas Tech will be facing a huge test against No. 12 West Virginia in a game between the conference’s number one offense in Tech and number one defense in West Virginia.

Kick off Saturday is at 11 a.m. and the game will air on ESPN2.

2. No. 12 West Virginia University (3-0, 1-0)

West Virginia dominated through the air in a 35-6 victory over a struggling K-State team.

Quarterback Will Grier threw for 356 yards and five touchdowns, with wide receiver David Sills catching three of those touchdown passes. The Mountaineer defense held the Wildcats — who are typically known for a successful run game — to just 91 yards on the ground.

The Mountaineers will face No. 25 Texas Tech on Saturday at 11 a.m. on ESPN2 in the first matchup between two Big 12 top 25 teams of the season.

1. No. 6 University of Oklahoma (4-0, 1-0)

Oklahoma narrowly avoided an upset at home, escaping with a 28-21 overtime win against Army on Saturday.

The Knights had more total yards (379), first downs (26) and held on to the football for nearly 75 percent of the game (44:41).

Quarterback Kyler Murray threw for 165 yards and three touchdowns as well as one rushing touchdown. The Sooners had the ball for just over 15 minutes and it was the first time since 1996 where a team won with that little time of possession.

No. 6 Oklahoma will resume Big 12 play at 2:30 p.m. Saturday at home against Baylor on ABC.