Privilege Fee Committee hears continuation proposal for Student Design Services

0
129

The Privilege Fee Committee continued to hear their first allocation request of the cycle in the form of a continuance request from the Student Design Center.

The entity, which was first allocated $65,000 in the 2015-2016 Student Governing Association term, requested the same allocative amount. The entity was funded by Student Centered Tuition Enhancement funds prior to the its first privilege fee allocation, and this is the first review cycle the entity will go through.

Audrey Taggart-Kagdis, assistant director for marketing and community relations and adviser to Student Design Center, said she believes their current model is well-structured and effective.

Hannah Heatherman, junior in business administration and PFC member, said it didn’t “sit right” with her that Taggart-Kagdis said the center completed upwards of 100 projects for the Union Program Council in the previous academic year and would not put a cap on UPC projects if they suddenly reach capacity workload.

Madison Brown, committee vice chair and sophomore in business administration, said she didn’t think a decrease would have a negative impact on the SDC, which has $9,000 leftover from the last fiscal cycle.

Based on the surplus, Natalie Jabben, committee member and sophomore in political science, said she would be in favor of a decrease in some capacity.

“A three percent decrease is not extremely significant when you’re looking at $65,000,” Jabben said.

Heatherman moved to lower the Student Design Center’s allocation by five percent. The motion passed with eight members in favor and three of the new at-large members abstaining. The recommendation to student senate will be introduced on Oct. 12, Chair Jansen Penny, junior in industrial engineering, said.

On Oct. 8, the Campus Entertainment Fund will begin the process of review by the committee. The entity, which is an extension of the UPC, also requested a continuance on their $150,000 allocation.

My name is Kaylie McLaughlin and I'm the managing editor and audience engagement manager of the Collegian. Previously, I've been the editor-in-chief and the news editor. In the past, I have also contributed to the Royal Purple Yearbook and KKSU-TV. Off-campus, you can find my bylines in the Wichita Eagle, the Shawnee Mission Post and KSNT News. I grew up just outside of Kansas City in Shawnee, Kansas. I’m a senior in digital journalism with a minor in French and a secondary focus in international and area studies. As a third-generation K-Stater, I bleed purple and my goal is to serve the Wildcat community with accurate coverage.