Wildcat volleyball still winless in Big 12 after five-set loss to Tech

0
42
Following a rally the Wildcats huddle together across the court from the Longhorns. The September 19 game was played in Ahearn Field House. (Rowan Jones|Collegian Media Group)

The Kansas State volleyball team’s woes continued Wednesday night in Lubbock, Texas, where despite having won the first set, the Wildcats lost in five to the Texas Tech Red Raiders.

The Wildcats are now 10-6 overall and 0-5 in Big 12 play, while the Red Raiders improved to 15-3 on 4-0 in conference matches.

K-State started the season at 10-1 before their first Big 12 match. That first conference match was a five set loss to Texas, and the Wildcats have now lost five straight.

The Wildcats came out ready to play, winning the first set against the Red Raiders 27-25. The set was close almost the entire way, with K-State holding as big as a five point lead before winning in extra points.

K-State hit under .200, but still came out victorious in the first set.

In set two, Texas Tech fought back and controlled that set, winning 25-20. The Wildcats hit just .088 in the second set and had six attacking errors.

The Wildcats were able to win set three and take a 2-1 lead, but they would win no more sets after that.

Texas Tech came back and won the final two sets, 25-21 and 15-11, respectively, to win the match and stay undefeated in the Big 12.

K-State was led by senior Kylee Zumach, sophomore Sarah Dixon and freshman Gloria Mutiri, who all had double-doubles in the losing effort.

Mutiri led the team with 13 kills, while Zumach provided 12 and sophomore Peyton Williams had 11 for the Wildcats.

K-State will have the weekend off from matches before hosting Iowa State next Wednesday night inside Ahearn Field House, with the first serve set for 7 p.m.