Wildcats outlasted by Baylor in fourth quarter, remain winless in conference play

0
241
The Kansas State University Wildcats play Baylor University Bears at McLane Stadium in Waco Texas, on Saturday, October 6, 2018. (Olivia Bergmeier | Collegian Media Group)

The Kansas State football team fell to the Baylor Bears 37-34 for their third straight loss Saturday in Waco, Texas.

The Wildcats remain without a win in conference play this season and the program’s eight straight bowl appearances appears to be highly in jeopardy.

The first three quarters was filled with sloppy football, as both teams had their mistakes and missed opportunities. Missed field goals haunted both teams.

Interceptions were an issue for the Wildcats, as redshirt sophomore quarterback Skylar Thompson threw more interceptions (two) than touchdowns (one).

Junior running back Alex Barnes had the best game in his K-State football career, he rushed for 250 yards on 22 carries and was responsible for three of K-State’s five touchdowns.

Barnes got the Wildcats on the board in the first quarter, giving his team their first lead, 7-3 on a 55-yard touchdown run.

He later followed it up with another touchdown in the second quarter from 34 yards out to give the Wildcats the lead back, 14-12.

Baylor then took the lead at the beginning of the third quarter on a 1-yard touchdown run by senior wide receiver Jalen Hurd, along with a two-point conversion to put the Bears up 20-14.

Then in the fourth quarter, the game changed dramatically. It became an offensive shootout as both teams went back-and-fourth putting up points.

The final quarter scoring started with Barnes exploding for a 48-yard rushing touchdown to tie up the game at 20-20 after the extra point was blocked.

The Wildcats defense was able to get a stop on Baylor’s following possession, forcing them into a 4th and 17, which was the only stop the defense was able to make in the fourth quarter.

The Wildcat offense capitalized after the defensive stop. Thompson showed his speed as he ran through the Bears defense, fighting off tackles and juking defenders as he ran 52-yards to the end zone. The Wildcats went up 27-20 after the extra point by Andrew Hicks, and it was the last lead that K-State would have during the game.

It only took the Bears 2:07 to tie the game back up in seven plays as they marched down the field 71 yards to tie the game up at 27-27.

The Bears then got the defensive stop they needed in the fourth quarter. Freshman safety Christian Morgan intercepted a pass from Skylar Thompson, which led to a rushing touchdown by Craig Williams to give the Bears a 34-27 lead.

The Wildcats were able to tie the game up on their next possession when Thompson found senior running back Dalvin Warmack for a 28-yard touchdown with 4:26 remaining in the game.

Baylor would run the clock down to 12 seconds to set up kicker junior kicker Connor Martin for a 29-yard game winning field goal. The field goal gave the Bears a 37-34 lead with eight seconds left, and they would escape with a win.

K-State is now 2-4 overall and 0-3 in conference play, as it will travel home and get ready to take on the Oklahoma State Cowboys next Saturday, Oct. 13.