Williams, Barnes named Collegian Athletes of the Week

0
127
Junior running back Alex Barnes runs to the Wildcat bench to celebrate with the team. The Kansas State University Wildcats played Baylor University Bears at McLane Stadium in Waco, Texas, on Saturday. (Olivia Bergmeier | Collegian Media Group)

Sophomore multi-sport athlete Peyton Williams from the Kansas State volleyball team and junior running back Alex Barnes from the football team are named this week’s Collegian Athletes of the Week.

Williams also plays for the basketball team, but right now is in season for the volleyball team as the team looks for its first win in the Big 12.

Williams had 11 kills on Wednesday night and had five blocks in a loss to Texas Tech in Lubbock, Texas.

She is averaging over two kills per set and has a very good hitting percentage at .325 on the season.

Williams and the Wildcats will take on Iowa State on Wednesday inside Ahearn Field House.

09.08.18.VBvsOmaha.AM-5.jpg
Redshirt sophomore middle blocker Peyton Williams spikes the ball against Omaha during the match on Sept. 8. K-State would go on to win the game 3-0. (File photo by Alex Masson | Collegian Media Group)

The season has not gone the way the K-State football has hoped for, but the Wildcats have to be encouraged with the effort by Barnes on Saturday in a three-point loss to Baylor.

Barnes had a career day on Saturday as he had 250 yards rushing on 22 attempts which led to three touchdowns.

It was the fifth-most rushing yards in a game in K-State school history just behind former Wildcat Darren Sproles.

That was the most yards by any Wildcat running back in eight years when Daniel Thomas ran for 269 yards against North Texas.

Senior offensive line Dalton Risner spoke after the game and said he liked how well the Wildcats ran the ball on Saturday.

“From every game there’s takeaways, so we ran the ball well,” Risner said in a press conference after the game. “Sometimes you don’t run the ball well, but we did well so that’s a takeaway for sure.”

Next up for K-State will be a matchup with the Oklahoma State Cowboys inside Bill Snyder Family Stadium at 11 a.m. Saturday. The Wildcats are 2-4 on the season and 0-3 in Big 12 play.