Ella Adams leads K-State women’s golf at Illini Invitational

0
27
Ella Adams, a sophomore from Adelaide, Australia, keeps her eye on the ball as she practices chipping. As a freshman she had a 77.07 stroke average in 10 events, with one round of 65, the second lowest in school history. (Alex Todd | Collegian Media Group)

The Kansas State women’s golf team placed 12th in the Illini Women’s Invitational. The two day tournament took place at Medinah Country Club in Medinah, Illinois.

The tournament began on Monday with rounds one and two. Sophomore Reid Isaac led the Wildcats with her par 72 in the first round. However, the team was off to a slow start with their 14th place position after the first round.

After a slow first round that saw her post a score of 1-over par 73 in the first round, sophomore Ella Adams quickly rose in the ranks, shooting 4-under par 68 in the second round. When Monday ended, she found herself tied for 11th place.

In round three on Tuesday, Adams shot an even-par 72 to finish the tournament tied for 13th place with a score 3-under par 213. Her performance this week beat her best finish last year of a tie for 20th place at the Marilynn Smith/Sunflower Invitational.

In the second round, freshman Briony Bayles also shined with her 2-under par score of 70 landing, her 47th place after Monday. Bayles finished Tuesday in 82nd place, scoring 16-over par 232.

The improved performances of Adams and the team in the second round pushed the Wildcats to an 11th place standing after the first day.

On the second day and in the final round, the K-State women finished the tournament with a collective score of 14-over par 878. The team dropped one position to finish the tournament in 12th, seven strokes behind Indiana and Wisconsin.

Adams led the team, tying for 13th. Senior Chloe Weir tied for 50th place with 5-over par 221. Trailing Weir by three strokes was Isaac at 8-over par 224, tied for 66th. Sophomore Niamh McSherry finished 12-over par 228 in 77th place.

The Wildcats will be back on the greens competing in the Magnolia Invitational in West Point, Mississippi on Sunday the 14th through Tuesday the 16th.