Players-only meeting a topic of discussion at Wildcat football press conference

0
693
Kansas State University football senior, team captian and offensive lineman Dalton Risner holds the "FAMILY" block before the KSU v Baylor University game. The Wildcats played the Baylor University Bears at McLane Stadium in Waco, Texas, on Saturday. (Olivia Bergmeier | Collegian Media Group)

Head coach Bill Snyder and senior offensive lineman Dalton Risner were the only Kansas State football team members to speak to the media on Tuesday.

Although K-State is 2-4 overall and is a winless 0-3 in conference play, Risner stressed the fact that the team is still pushing forward and not giving up.

Risner said the players had a 30 minute-long, players-only meeting on Monday night.

“I’m going to be honest, I went to Coach Snyder and said, ‘I feel like we need to get together as a team,’” Risner said. “Sometimes you have to get everything out there, positive and negative, and I thought that was needed.”

Risner recalled the last players-only meeting during his time at K-State. It came during his redshirt freshman season, when the team was 3-6. As Risner remembers, that meeting “kind of got the train back on track,” and the Wildcats won their last three games of the season to make a bowl game.

With the 2015 season in mind, the senior captain said he knew he wanted to do something now before things got worse.

“So, I was sitting there thinking, ‘Hey, we’re 2-4, let’s not wait until we’re 2-6 or 3-6,” Risner said. “We came off of a game that we played pretty well offensively, but we have things to build off of.”

Risner said he feels that the players-only meeting was beneficial. Why?

“The reason it was a good meeting, guys, is because it wasn’t about what can the coaches do different, or what can the community do different or everyone else do different — it was about what we can do different as players,” Risner said. “It was really, really beneficial and gave me a lot of energy and excitement moving forward to later this week.”

Snyder’s said if the player’s-only meeting is going to be productive, then he think it’s appropriate.

“I trust Dalton, and Dalton wanted to talk with the players and illicit thoughts from the players at the same time,” Snyder said. “I think it went well from what I understand.”

After a three-point loss to Baylor last time out, K-State returns home to take on Oklahoma State on Saturday.

Risner said he feels that K-State has always competed with the Cowboys during his time as a Wildcat.

“The games are always fun, they’re a prolific offense, they put points up on the board and they’re a good football team every year,” Risner said.

K-State and Oklahoma State will kick off at 11 a.m. Saturday for the annual Homecoming game, which will be televised on ESPNU.