Two guys and a microphone: How ‘Boscoe’s Boys’ grew to be a major K-State sports podcast

0
885
Logo courtesy Boscoe's Boys

For third-generation K-State graduate Scott McFarland, it’s only natural that he hasn’t missed a single football game inside Bill Snyder Family Stadium since 2008.

McFarland graduated from K-State in spring 2014. After college, he started a job in retail inventory planning and management with Payless. He had that job until 2017, and for the past year has worked a similar job with Hallmark Corporation.

While his job occupies most of his time, it is not the only thing McFarland spends his time doing. Even since leaving Manhattan, his passion for K-State football remains.

During his time at K-State, McFarland said that he started listening to podcasts a lot. As in about 100 hours worth a week, he said.

Most of the podcasts that McFarland listens to are just college football fans talking about the sport or their team. He added that for a long time, there was really only one big K-State podcast, and now there is really just two.

Eventually, solely listening to podcasts would come to be not enough.

“I just couldn’t get enough,” McFarland said. “I thought over the years that I needed to start my own.

It was around the time of the K-State men’s basketball team’s run in the NCAA Tournament this past spring that the idea of starting a podcast began to materialize.

McFarland said that after K-State defeated Creighton in the first round and prepared to play UMBC in the round of 32, he started talking to his cousin —and now co-host— Grant about the idea.

When the Wildcats defeated the Retrievers and advanced to the Sweet 16, the first “Boscoe’s Boys” podcast was created to preview the matchup with Kentucky. After K-State knocked off Kentucky, the Boys went to Atlanta and did a live episode from a brewery ahead of K-State’s Elite Eight game.

Since then, things have taken off for “Boscoe’s Boys.” They put up one episode a week during the summer offseason and have had a few big-name guests.

First, let’s take a step back and look at the name: “Boscoe’s Boys.” Where does that come from? From 1906-1909, a black Labrador named Boscoe represented K-State at football and baseball games.

McFarland said he believes that Boscoe was a great mascot, and should get a return. In our interview, he even offered up a plea for K-State students to get behind a movement to bring back Boscoe as K-State football’s mascot.

What does it look like to even start a podcast? McFarland said that “anyone with a laptop can start a podcast,” with iPhone earbuds and a microphone.

“Boscoe’s Boys” started with an iPhone app that basically works the same as recording a phone call. McFarland said that it was very basic — you could drop in sound effects, but there was very little editing and producing involved.

Eventually, the Boys would move to Audacity and then on to conference microphones. Today, they have since progressed to using a mixer but still do not do much editing or producing.

While they would like to improve in balancing audio quality, dropping in sound and doing transitions, McFarland said he recognizes that they just do not have a background with audio production. Besides, he said he kind of likes the “element of just being guys talking and having fun.”

With full-time jobs, the podcast is mostly a hobby, but with some sponsors, they are able to make a little bit of money. McFarland said on average, they will spend about five or six hours a week on a podcast.

McFarland said he would even call it a side hustle.

As was previously mentioned, the Boys have gotten a few notable guests to join their podcast, including K-State Athletics Director Gene Taylor.

McFarland said that as soon as he started the podcast, he knew he would want to get Taylor on air.

“I could not be more thankful to everyone on the athletics staff,” McFarland said about setting up a time to talk with Taylor.

“Boscoe’s Boys” has also had episodes with K-State sports journalists, including Kellis Robinett of the Wichita Eagle and Matt Hall and Grant Flanders of K-State Online.

Two former K-State football players — Travis Tannahill (tight end, 2009-12) and Reggie Walker (linebacker, 2005-08) — have been on the podcast.

When asked about the future of “Boscoe’s Boys,” McFarland had a few ideas.

“I would love to get a local sponsor on and start building stuff with them locally,” McFarland said.

He added that he would like to do live podcasts and watch parties, potentially in Manhattan or in Kansas City for away games. He referenced a tailgate that “Boscoe’s Boys” did ahead of the UTSA football game last month, and said that about 50 people showed up.

After having Taylor come on the podcast, McFarland said he hopes to continue to build rapport with him and have him come around consistently. He even one day hopes to be able to have K-State football and men’s basketball coaches join the show, he said.

Whatever happens, McFarland said he just wants “Boscoe’s Boys” to continue to grow and succeed.

“So many podcasts just come around and die,” he said. “I don’t want that.”

McFarland said two good episodes for new listeners to check out would be the episode with Gene Taylor from Aug. 12, and the Father’s Day “Dad Pod” from June 17.

He also told fans to watch out for two upcoming episodes. The first being on Oct. 17, which will be a “tell-all” of the Ron Prince era with former players Reggie Walker and Ian Campbell. On Oct. 22, McFarland said the Boys “will have a pretty good episode dropping on Oct. 22 with another big guest potentially.”

You can listen to “Boscoe’s Boys” on iTunes, Spotify or at armchairallamericans.com. You can follow them on Twitter at @BoscoesBoys, @scottwildcat and @grant_ksu.

Jarrett Whitson
I’m Jarrett Whitson, the sports editor this semester. I’m from Blue Rapids, KS, a town of just over 1,000 people about 40 miles north of Manhattan. I’m a junior in Public Relations, and a member of FarmHouse Fraternity. I love playing and talking about sports— especially college football