SGA supports affordable housing, approves new senators to vacancies

0
60

During their Thursday night meeting, the Student Governing Association passed a resolution supporting affordable housing in the Manhattan.

The resolution, passed in a voice-vote with none opposed, calls for community-oriented planning and problem solving to bring more affordable housing to Kansas State students.

In a governmental relations committee meeting on Oct. 3, vice chair of the committee Jonathan Cole, senior in mechanical engineering, said the average monthly income of a student is just short of $500, and the average cost of housing in that same period is around $450.

Additionally, SGA filled senate vacancies in the College of Arts and Sciences and the Graduate School.

Sean Marshall, current student organization and Association of Residence Halls outreach director and sophomore in political science, was approved as student senator for the College of Arts and Sciences.

Fanny Fang and Abbey Gilliland-King, graduate students in counseling and student development, Dre’Vel Taylor, graduate student in public administration, and Tahmineh Azizi, graduate student in mathematics, were also approved as student senators for the Graduate School. These approvals passed unanimously.

The senate will reconvene on Thursday, Oct. 18 at 7 p.m. in Wildcat Chamber. For more information about SGA and their meetings, visit their OrgSync page.

My name is Kaylie McLaughlin and I'm the Editor in Chief of the Collegian. I grew up just outside of Kansas City in Shawnee, Kansas. I’m a junior in digital journalism with a minor in French and a secondary focus in international and area studies. As a third generation K-Stater, I bleed purple and my goal is to serve the Wildcat community with accurate coverage. I am fueled by a lot of coffee and I spend my (sparse) free time watching stand-up comedy.