Turco wins tennis consolation bracket at ITA Central Regional Championship

0
53
Kansas State womens' tennis team gathers its tennis balls before practice on Sept. 14, 2018. (Brooke Barrett | Collegian Media Group)

The Kansas State tennis team made its way to Iowa City, Iowa, to compete in the Intercollegiate Tennis Association Central Regional Championship.

The tournament, which lasted for five days, was hosted at the Hawkeye Tennis and Recreation Complex.

Sophomore Anna Turco was the top performer, as she won the consolation bracket. All of K-State’s doubles teams made it to the Round of 32.

The Wildcats finished the first day of the tournament with celebration as all three doubles teams won their matches, moving them on to the Round of 32 on Saturday.

The sophomore duo of Margot Decker and Maria Linares were victorious, 8-2 over Nebraska’s Marina Cozac and Elizabeth Gould.

Another win came from freshmen Maria Ponomareva and Ioana Gheorghita beating Oral Roberts’ Valentina Gisbert and Andrea Vasilijevic, 8-4.

Friday was finished by junior Ines Mesquita and sophomore Anna Turco defeating Huskers Hayley Haakenstad and Claire Reifeis, 8-6.

Following the first day of victories, all doubles lost in tiebreakers on Saturday. After tough losses, Decker, Linares and Ponomareva bounced back in singles and each moved on to Round of 32.

Ponomareva and Gheorghita fell to Oklahoma, 8-7, and Decker and Linares to Arkansas, 8-7 (7-2). Not far behind, Mesquita and Turco were unable to outlast Iowa’s duo and lost 8-7 (7-3).

In singles, Decker defeated Arkansas’ Thea Rice in straight sets, 7-5, 6-2. Linares won over Creighton’s Ashley Ishimura, 6-1, 6-0. Missouri’s Vivien Abraham was unable to defeat K-State’s Ponomareva, 6-2, 6-0.

While Mesquita won her opening match against Iowa’s Adorabol Huckleby, she fell to Plobrung Plipuech from Kansas.

Turco and Gheorghita also faced defeat in the singles Round of 64 by Iowa State’s Maty Cancini and Iowa’s Sophie Clark.

The Wildcat’s third day of competition saw Decker and Linares reach the Round of 16 before their run came to an end later that Sunday.

Decker defeated Missouri’s Serena Nash, 6-4, 6-7 (8-6), 6-3. Linares was also successful defeating Oklahoma’s Camilla Romero, 3-6, 7-6, (4), 6-4.

Linares then went on to face No. 124 Janet Koch of Kansas and lost 6-4, 7-6 (4). Decker fell to KU’s Sonia Smagina, 6-2, 5-7, 7-5.

In straight sets, Turco won over Gabrielle Goldin of Mizzou, 6-3, 6-0 and earned a spot in the semifinal consolation. After Jasmine Asghar from Oklahoma withdrew from the semifinal due to injury, Turco moved on to compete in the consolation final.

On Monday, Turco won the consolation bracket. Taking on Oklahoma’s Ivana Corley in the final, Turco was victorious with straight sets 7-5 and 6-1 over Corley. She was an undefeated 2-0 in the consolation bracket.

The tennis team will compete next on Oct. 26-28 in Knoxville, Tennessee, for the Tennessee Fall Invite.