K-State volleyball looks to carry momentum from upset win over KU to Waco

0
39
The K-State volleyball team takes a quick moment to celebrate a score during the Iowa State game on October 10, 2018. The Wildcats ultimately fell to the Cyclones 1-3. (Alex Todd | Collegian Media Group)

After getting a much needed Big 12 win in front of their home crowd against No. 22 Kansas, the Kansas State volleyball team will look to carry that momentum into Waco, Texas, this weekend against No. 24 Baylor.

The Bears have won their last two matches and are 4-3 in conference play this season. K-State has struggled this season during conference play, but was able to pick up its first conference win against the Jayhawks on Wednesday night.

Baylor is 12-6 overall and 4-3 in conference play. It has won its last two matches against TCU at home and on the road against West Virginia. At home, the Bears won 3-1 and in five sets on the road against the Mountaineers.

In the road test against West Virginia, Baylor was down two-sets-to-none and was able to rally back in five sets to claim the match. Redshirt junior middle blocker Shelly Fanning recorded a career-high 20 kills on 27 attempts. Fanning also posted a .741 attack percentage for a five-set match in program history.

Against in-state rival Kansas, K-State saw five players finish with double-digit kills in the four-set win. After the Jayhawks were able to tie the match at a set a piece, the Wildcats won the last two sets to take the match.

This was the first home win for K-State against Kansas inside Ahearn Field House since 2011, and the first win overall against the Jayhawks since 2014.

K-State edged Kansas in kills, 61-48. Freshman opposite Gloria Mutiri and redshirt senior opposite hitter Kylee Zumach led the team with 13 kills each.

“That was big time,” head coach Suzie Fritz said to K-State Sports. “It was more than winning. We’ve been pretty focused on just trying to get over the hump and focused on winning, but it was much more than that.”

“I thought they played together,” Fritz said. “I thought they played for each other and executed extremely well — everybody showing up at the same time and doing their job. It really felt like a team effort.”

The match between the Wildcats and Bears will start at 2 p.m. on Saturday, and will be televised on Fox Sports Southwest. Fans can also listen to the match on KMAN radio.

This account was generated by Camayak on 2017-09-06, please refer to http://support.camayak.com/connect-your-camayak-account-to-your-existing-wordpress-account/ if you wish to delete it.