Soccer to face Baylor on Friday, looking to build upon last week’s drought-ending goal

0
26
During a Texas Tech corner kick number 31, sophmore defender Avery Green, jumps to head butt the ball away from the goal. Kansas State went on to lose the game 2-0 (Rowan Jones|Collegian Media Group)

The K-State soccer team will finish its season with a three-match road trip. The first of the three will be against the No. 13 Baylor Bears on Friday in Waco, Texas.

The Bears are 12-4-0 overall and 5-1-0 this season, riding a five-match winning streak into this matchup. Their only loss in the Big 12 so far was in the conference opener against No. 14 Texas.

The Wildcats are 4-9-2 overall and 0-6-0 this season, still looking for their first conference win of the season. They have lost six straight matches this season.

In K-State’s previous match against TCU last Friday, the Wildcats ended a four-match scoring drought. In the 47th minute of the game, senior defender Haley Sutter headed the ball into the net off a corner kick by sophomore forward Hannah Davis.

That was the Wildcats’ first goal in 484 minutes of game time, which was the second-longest scoreless streak in program history.

Sutter said it felt really good to finally get the ball in the back of the net.

“It’s an unreal feeling scoring anytime you score,” Sutter said Wednesday morning. “It doesn’t happen a lot in soccer, so it’s really exciting when you do.”

The goal was Sutter’s second goal of the season in Big 12 play, as she scored a goal against Oklahoma State in the conference opener.

Sutter is happy that she has been able to help her team, as she has scored the team’s only goals in conference play this season.

“You want to do everything you can for your team,” said Sutter. “The fact that I’ve scored is nice – they’ve been scrappy goals – but we’ll take them, they’re not always going to be pretty. I’m happy I can do that for my team.”

Head coach Mike Dibbini said that it was important to put and end to the shutout streak with the challenging road trip to end the season.

“Any goal at this level – especially in the Big 12 – is worth celebrating,” Dibbini said. “We figured out a way, hopefully we can continue to do that. That has been our biggest challenge, we have been getting to the goal, it has just been putting the ball in the net.”

Dibbini knows it won’t be easy to put the ball in the back of the net against the physicality of Baylor.

“We got to be ready for a physical match,” Dibbini said. “They’re very strong and athletic, that is their pedigree. We are going to have the task of facing up against that for 90 minutes.”

K-State and Baylor will begin play at 7 p.m. at Betty Lou Mays Soccer Field on Friday. The match will be broadcast on 101.5 KROCK and kstatesports.com. Live stats can be followed on kstatesports.com as well.