Student senate introduces legislation to establish election board, approves intern class

0
27

In Thursday’s student senate, Student Governing Association introduced a series of bills aimed at helping the elections commissioner by clearly defining and establishing an election board.

The two bills, which would change the bylaws and the statutes of SGA regarding elections for SGA positions, come after a tumultuous general election season in the 2017-2018 academic year deciding the student body president and vice president for the current governing term, Emily Detiveaux, deputy attorney general and senior in philosophy, said.

“The creation of an Elections Board would allow for multiple unbiased individuals to aide in the election hearings process,” the bill reads.

Furthermore, the bills are meant to help in the “deciphering” of the requirements and rules in the bylaws and statutes of the election commissioner particularly pertaining to the hearings process. The deputy attorney general will now officially sit on the committee, as the individual has unofficially in the past.

The student senate also approved Kristen Schau, sophomore in political science, as the election commissioner for the upcoming election season. Applications for the election board will open Oct. 19.

The series of legislation regarding the SGA elections will come up for final action in the next student senate meeting.

Additionally, student senate unanimously approved the selection of the first round of interns to the second phase of the new program. Each intern was paired with an existing member of SGA in branches they had previously expressed interest in.

Student senate will reconvene at 7 p.m. on Oct. 25 in the Wildcat Chambers. For more information about their meetings and ongoing projects, visit the body’s OrgSync page.

My name is Kaylie McLaughlin and I'm one of the Co-Editors-in-Chief. I grew up just outside of Kansas City in Shawnee, KS. I’m a sophomore in digital journalism with a minor in French and a secondary focus in international and area studies. In the past, I’ve focused primarily on multimedia journalism, but I’ve always been passionate about storytelling. I am fueled by a lot of coffee and I spend my (sparse) free time watching stand-up comedy and reading news magazines.