Icing on the (cup)cake: UPC hosts decorating contest

0
54
A student holds out their cupcake, showing its decorated detail. This cupcake is part of the UPC Battle of the Cupcakes held in the K-State Student Union on October 19. (Abigail Compton | Collegian Media Group)

Earlier today the Union Program Council put on their annual “Battle of the Cupcakes” in the K-State Student Union, giving students the opportunity to show off their creative skills at this edible event.

Whether an impassioned artist or just passionate about eating cupcakes, students were welcome to come grab a cupcake and customize their own little work of art with a variety of sprinkles, toppings and colored icings. Upon completion, students had the opportunity to submit their work for the chance to win prizes.

Prizes included a variety of baking good bundles including combinations of oven mitts, mixing bowls, cupcake pans, an apron or a mixer.

Ivy Bogle, co-chair on the UPC Art Committee and sophomore in hospitality management, helped organize the event.

“I think a few years ago they started it and it really went over well, so it’s been one of those traditions that the Art Committee puts on every year,” Bogle said.

Bogle said helping with events like this is a great way to get experience with real-life event planning outside of her major.

Reigning Battle of the Cupcake champion Melissa Donlon stopped by to throw her cupcake in the ring again this year.

“Last year, I just happened upon it, and I was eating lunch and watching people decorate, and I thought I’d give it a try, and I ended up winning first place,” Donlon said.

A senior art major with a concentration in painting, Donlon spends a lot of time around pastries in her day-to-day life working at a donut shop.

Bogle said in the past they’ve only had one of the committee co-chairs judge, however this year everyone on the council will be voting on the winning cupcakes.

The top three winners of the contest will be announced next week.

My name is Rebecca Vrbas. I’m the assistant culture editor at the Collegian and a junior in journalism and mass communications. My hobbies include obsessing over an ever-expanding pool of musicals and cats (not the musical). I love writing because of the infinite intricacy of language, as well as its power to cultivate a sense of community through sharing experiences.