Wildcat soccer falls to Baylor, 1-0

0
16

The Kansas State soccer team extended its losing streak to seven games on Friday night when they ceded a second half goal to the 13th-ranked Baylor Bears in a 1-0 loss in Waco, Texas.

The deciding goal came in the 49th minute. Baylor junior forward Camryn Wendlandt broke away from the defense and slipped the ball past sophomore goal keeper Emma Malsy.

K-State started the game off with a scoring opportunity in the second minute, when junior forward Katie Cramer sent a laser shot toward the top right corner of the goal. Her shot was narrowly saved by Baylor sophomore goal keeper Jennifer Wandt.

That was the Wildcats’ lone shot on goal in the first half, an alarming trend that has shown itself throughout the Big 12 season. K-State has failed to get many shots on goal in first halves and have suffered from it on their way to a 0-7-0 conference record.

The Wildcats found only three total shots in the first period, to the Bears’ nine. Baylor also sent five shots at the goal in the first period.

In the second half, K-State got a few more opportunities, but still came up short. The Wildcats got seven more shots, including two more on goal. Both of those shots on goal ended up being saved by Wandt.

In the 65th minute, sophomore midfielder Brookelynn Entz took a free kick from 22 yards out. She tried to curl it around the goal keeper near the left post, but Wandt got a hand on it and saved it.

The Wildcats’ last real scoring chance came with a corner kick from Entz in the 76th minute. Sophomore defender Avery Green got her head on it, but Wandt saved it once again.

All totaled, Malsy managed made eight saves in the contest.

K-State fell to 4-10-2 on the season with the loss and 0-7-0 in Big 12 play. They are 10th in the conference standings with two matches to play.

Up next for the Wildcats is a meeting with the 17th-ranked Texas Longhorns in Austin, Texas on Sunday, October 21, at 1 p.m. The game will be televised on the Longhorn Network, and broadcast over the radio on 101.5 KROCK.