K-State soccer sunk by three second-half goals from No. 17 Texas

0
26
After falling to the ground, K-State forward Hannah Davis watches as Texas Tech regains possession on Oct. 12, 2018. Texas Tech won the game 2-0. (Rowan Jones | Collegian Media Group)

The Kansas State soccer team suffered their eighth loss in a row Sunday afternoon, this time at the hands of the 17th-ranked Texas Longhorns. The Longhorns routed the Wildcats 4-0 in Austin, Texas.

The first goal for Texas came in the 36th minute when junior forward Cyera Hintzen stole the ball from the Wildcats and passed it ahead to senior forward Alexa Adams. Adams put a left-footed shot inside the right post from the left side past K-State sophomore goalkeeper Emma Malsy.

The Wildcats were outshot 6-4 in the first half. Each team put one shot on goal.

The Longhorns took that 1-0 lead into the halftime break, but they were not done scoring yet.

In the 68th minute, freshman midfielder Julia Grosso scored from 17 yards out.

Less than ten minutes, Grosso connected on another shot from the middle of the box to put her team ahead 3-0.

The Wildcats answered back with a shot on goal of their own in the 82nd minute. Junior midfielder Laramie Hall received a pass from sophomore midfielder Maddie Souder. Her shot was saved by Longhorn junior goalkeeper Nicole Curry.

Curry managed to save all three of the Wildcats’ shots on goal in the match.

The Longhorns found one last goal in the 84th minute, when sophomore forward Haley Berg took a pass from junior defender Atu Mshana at the top of the 18-yard box. Her shot beat Malsy to the lower left corner of the goal, achieving the final score of 4-0.

The Wildcats are now 4-11-2 on the season and 0-8-0 in Big 12 play. They have one more chance to accrue points in the standings when they travel to Ames, Iowa, to take on Iowa State on Thursday.

With a win over Iowa State, K-State would tie with the Cyclones for ninth place in the Big 12. As the conference tournament only fields eight teams, the Wildcats are ruled out.