K-State volleyball sweeps Baylor for second straight Big 12 and top-25 win

0
110
The Wildcats celebrate after Brooke Heyne gets a kill during the game against Iowa State on October 10, 2018. (Alex Todd | Collegian Media Group)

The Kansas State volleyball team swept No. 24 Baylor on Saturday for its second straight Big 12 win of the season.

The Wildcats came into Saturday’s match having just knocked off No. 22 Kansas on Wednesday, their first at home against the Jayhawks since 2011. Prior to that win, K-State had no Big 12 wins this season.

After defeating the 24th-ranked Bears on Saturday afternoon, the Wildcats now have two conference wins and two wins over top-25 ranked teams.

All three sets were tightly contested as competitive, with K-State winning all three by scores of 25-23, 27-25 and 28-26.

K-State had a 20-17 advantage in kills in the opening set. Baylor jumped out to a 5-0 lead, at one point holding a six point lead. A kill by junior middle blocker Elle Sandbothe from redshirt junior setter Sarah Dixon gave the Wildcats the final point they needed to win the set.

K-State claimed the second set on a kill by redshirt freshman outside hitter Brooke Heyne and a block by Sandbothe. The Wildcats recorded four blocks compared to just two from the Bears in the second set.

The third and final set was tied at 25 before a block by redshirt senior outside hitter Kylee Zumach and redshirt sophomore middle blocker Peyton Williams gave the Wildcats a 26-25 advantage. After being tied once again at 26, K-State’s Williams and freshman opposite hitter Gloria Mutiri each recorded kills to help their team claim the set.

Overall, both teams had 54 kills and 56 digs. K-State finished the day with a hitting percentage of .304 while Baylor hit for .263.

For the Wildcats, Heyne led the team with 15 kills and collected a .467 hitting percentage. Mutiri collected 10 kills on 33 attacks, while Williams led the way with a .550 hit percentage.

Baylor’s sophomore setter Hannah Lockin hit for .833 on the day, followed by senior opposite hitter Ashley Fritcher, who recorded a .444 hitting percentage.

The next match for K-State will be against the Oklahoma Sooners on Wednesday, Oct. 24th. The two teams met previously in September, when the Sooners swept the Wildcats in three sets.

K-State (12-7, 2-6) and Oklahoma (12-8, 4-4) will begin at 6 p.m. Wednesday inside Ahearn Field House. The match will stream on K-StateHD.TV, and will be broadcast on KMAN radio.

This account was generated by Camayak on 2017-09-06, please refer to http://support.camayak.com/connect-your-camayak-account-to-your-existing-wordpress-account/ if you wish to delete it.