K-State volleyball carries momentum into Wednesday’s match against OU

0
75
During the final moments of the game, the Wildcats celebrate a score against Iowa State. K-State ultimately fell to the Cyclones 1-3 on Oct. 10, 2018. (Alex Todd | Collegian Media Group)

The Kansas State volleyball team comes off two wins against top-25 teams as it looks to even the season series against the Oklahoma Sooners on Wednesday.

The match will be the second of the season against the Sooners. When the Wildcats visited Norman, Oklahoma in September, the Sooners swept them in three sets. It was the second of six consecutive losses to start conference play this season.

The Sooners held the Wildcats to a hitting percentage under .200, while they hit for .309. K-State’s redshirt junior setter Sarah Dixon picked up her fourth double-double of the season with 30 assists and 12 digs. Oklahoma’s sophomore middle blocker Paige Anderson recorded a .556 hitting percentage, while sophomore defensive specialist and libero Keyton Kinley had 23 digs.

K-State is 2-6 in conference play so far after picking up its first two wins last week over No. 22 Kansas and No. 24 Baylor.

Oklahoma is 4-4 against Big 12 opponents and is coming off a sweep of West Virginia at home.

In Oklahoma’s win against West Virginia, the Sooners recorded a season-high hitting percentage of .410, while limiting the Mountaineers to .082. Senior outside hitter Alyssa Enneking led Oklahoma with 17 kills, while Anderson followed with 12. On the defensive end, the Sooners finished with 51 digs to 35 by the Mountaineers. Kinley led the match with 21 digs.

Four Wildcats finished the day in double figures against No. 24 Baylor on Saturday. Redshirt freshman Brook Heyne recorded a career-high 15 kills and hit for .467. As a team, K-State hit .304 and had 54 kills.

Saturday’s win was K-State’s first road win over Baylor since 2014, and the first road sweep of a ranked opponent since 2002, per K-State Sports.

The Wildcats had nine blocks against the Bears, and junior middle blocker Elle Sandbothe led the team with five blocks, two of them solo. Redshirt sophomore middle blocker Peyton Williams and redshirt senior outside hitter Kylee Zumach each had four block assists.

The second match of this season’s series between the Wildcats and the Sooners will begin Wednesday at 7 p.m. inside Ahearn Field House. The match will stream via K-StateHD.TV at kstatesports.com and will be broadcast on KMAN radio.

This account was generated by Camayak on 2017-09-06, please refer to http://support.camayak.com/connect-your-camayak-account-to-your-existing-wordpress-account/ if you wish to delete it.