Two women’s golfers finish in top 20 at UT Arlington Invitational

0
42
Darby Deans, a sophomore from Frisco, TX, putts during team practice on September 18, 2018 at Colbert Hills Golf Course. Last year Deans held an 80.10 stroke average. (Alex Todd | Collegian Media Group)

Sophomore Darby Deans and freshman Heather Fortushniak represented the Kansas State women’s golf team at the UT Arlington Invitational on Monday and Tuesday.

Fortushniak and Deans both turned in top-20 performances in Mansfield, Texas at Walnut Creek Country Club.

The first two rounds of the invitational were played on Monday, with the third and final round being played on Tuesday.

Making her collegiate debut, Fortushniak finished the first day of the invitational at 15-over par 157 and tied for 26th. Monday started out strong for the freshman as she earned a first round score of 4-over-par 75, following it up with an 11-over-par 82 second round.

A native of Frisco, Texas, Deans returned to the state to compete in her second competition of the season.

Deans shot a 9-over-par 80 in the first round. Her second round performance of a 3-over-par 74 moved her up nine spots on the leaderboard. After the second round, she was tied for 17th with a 12-over-par 154 score.

On Tuesday, the Wildcats finished the invitational strong, with Fortushniak tied for 12th place and Deans tied for 18th.

Fortushniak carded a 1-under-par 70, one of the few under-par rounds of the tournament, including four birdies and three bogeys on the second day to finish with a 14-over-par 227 score.

Dean’s steady performance from Monday carried into Tuesday, as she carded a 4-over-par 75 in the final round and finished the invitational at 16-over-par 229.

The women’s golf team will next be competing in Dallas, Texas at the SMU/Trinity Forest Invitational on Oct. 29 and Oct. 30.