Men’s golf finishes ninth at Steelwood Collegiate Invitational

0
31
K-State men's golf team members approach the sixth hole at Colbert Hills on Oct. 1, 2015. (Archive photo by Evert Nelson | Collegian Media Group)

The Kansas State men’s golf team finished the last of its fall schedule this past weekend at the Steelwood Collegiate Invitational in Loxley, Alabama.

Saturday, the Wildcats played 36 holes for the first two rounds and finished the final round on Sunday with 18 holes.

After the first two rounds, K-State found itself tied for sixth out of 12 teams. The Wildcats finished at 11-over-par 578 entering Saturday.

“It was an up and down day for us,” head coach Grant Robbins said to K-State Sports.

“We got off to a pretty good start but made a lot of big numbers toward the end of the first round,” Robbins said. “I thought we were a little sloppy at the beginning of round two, but we did have some guys battle back with some birdies down the stretch.”

Leading K-State through the first two rounds was junior Ben Fernandez, who carded a 1-under-par 143. Fernandez was tied for seventh place entering the final round on Sunday.

Senior Roland Massimino shot 1-over-par 73 in both the first and second round. Massimino ended Saturday with a score of 2-over-par 146.

Freshman Will Hopkins, who was competing as an individual, shot 3-under-par 72 for the first round was tied for first. Through the second round, Hopkins shot 2-over-par 72 tied for fifth to end the day with an overall score of 2-under-par 142.

Junior Jacob Eklund tallied 1-over-par 145 after Saturday’s first two rounds. Eklund was tied for 18th after the day’s rounds.

Senior JC Campbell, also competing as an individual, tied for 43rd by shooting 5-over-par 149.

Sophomore Kyle Vance was in 60th after tallying a 9-over-par 153. Followed by senior Jeremy Gandon, who shot 11-over-par 155 to finish out the first day of this invitational.

Round three on Sunday ended with K-State placing ninth out of 12 teams, and three Wildcats finished in the top 30. This is the third tournament this season that the team has placed in the top 10.

Fernandez tied for seventh by finishing 1-over-par 73 on Sunday. Massimino shot 1-over-par 73 and ended with 3-over-par 219, which was good enough to finish tied for 19th. Hopkins carded 8-over-par 80 and overall he ended with 6-over-par 222.

Eklund ended the final round with 6-over-par 78 and tied for 39th. Campbell finished 1-under-par 71 on Sunday and overall with 4-over-220. Gandon tallied 6-over-par 78 in the third round followed by Vance, finishing 7-over-par 79.

Men’s golf will resume competition for the spring portion of their schedule at the Seminole Intercollegiate on Feb. 23 and 24.

This account was generated by Camayak on 2017-09-06, please refer to http://support.camayak.com/connect-your-camayak-account-to-your-existing-wordpress-account/ if you wish to delete it.