Wildcats speak to media in wake of blowout loss to OU

0
429
The Kansas State Wildcats play the Texas Christian University Horned Frogs in Bill Snyder Family Stadium on Oct. 14, 2017. The Wildcats lost with a final score of 6-26. (Archive photo by Meg Shearer | Collegian Media Group)

After a 51-14 loss to Oklahoma just days ago, the Kansas State football team will look to bounce back when they travel to Fort Worth, Texas, to take on TCU on Saturday.

Select players and head coach Bill Snyder spoke to the media Tuesday to address the team’s issues.

K-State gave up 702 yards of offense to Oklahoma on Saturday, and four of the touchdowns the Sooners scored were of 35-plus yards.

Snyder addressed the issue of K-State giving up big plays in the game on Tuesday.

“Number one, we can’t afford to do that regardless of the number,” Snyder said. “We’ve got to be able to defend far better than that. There’s a lot of reasons why; we’re definitely working on that.”

The Wildcats will need to finish 3-1 in the final four games of the season to make a bowl game.

Senior wide receiver Zach Reuter commented on that pursuit at Tuesday’s press conference. He said while the idea of playing in a bowl game can motivate the team, they cannot get distracted.

“Our mindset has to be in the here and now and being able to improve,” Reuter said. “If you look too far down the road, you can get distracted.”

After a bad effort on Saturday, K-State will look to put that loss behind them and beat a TCU team that just lost to Kansas this past weekend.

Senior offensive lineman Dalton Risner said that getting past such a big loss is never easy. Despite that, the captain said he knows the team must press onward.

“I’ve told you guys plenty of times this season, you’ve just got to move on,” Risner said. “No matter what the record is, no matter what state the team is in, you just got to move forward.”

Two of the Wildcats’ losses in Big 12 play have been close games. They lost 19-14 to Texas and 37-34 to Baylor on a field goal in the game’s final seconds.

Reuter said he knows how those outcomes could have been different.

“Every time we watch the film, we see the mistakes, and it’s things that are very much in our control and that we can change and, if corrected, could make the game completely different,” Reuter said.

K-State will look to correct those mistakes and come out on top in Saturday’s matchup with the Horned Frogs. Kickoff is set for 2:30 p.m., and the game will be televised on Fox Sports 1.