A chemical spill occurred in Burt Hall on Wednesday at around 3 p.m resulting in the evacuation of the building.
Battalion chief with Manhattan Fire Services Mark Whitehair said the spill occurred in Lab 207. He said they used a neutralization product where the spill was, containing it to a small area in the building. The entire building evacuation was a precaution, Whitehair said.
The chemical, isobutyl chloroformate, is flammable, corrosive and toxic if inhaled or ingested.
Susan Whitaker, assistant director of the facility where the spill occurred, said she had been moving chemicals from one freezer to another. When she left the room she heard a crash, read the label on the chemical that had spilled and called the fire department.
According to K-State Alerts, the situation was resolved, but Burt Hall will remain closed until normal business hours on Nov. 1.