K-State women’s golf places ninth at final fall competition, Adams takes ninth individually

0
26
The K-State women’s golf team, made up of seven team members, practices regularly at Colbert Hills Golf Course. (Alex Todd | Collegian Media Group)

The Kansas State women’s golf team competed at the SMU/Trinity Forest Invitational in Dallas, Texas, on Monday and Tuesday.

After the first two rounds of competition on Monday, the Wildcats were in eighth place out of 12 teams with a score of 603. The University of Illinois sat at the top of the leaderboard going into Tuesday.

Sophomore Ella Adams was the leader of the Wildcats on Monday. She scored 2-over-par 146 to stand tied for fifth place after the first two rounds.

Senior Chloe Weir followed up Adams on day one, shooting an even-par 72 in the first round and a 5-over-par 77 in the second round to come in tied for 20th place.

Sophomores Reid Isaac and Niamh McSherry finished Monday tied for 44th and 52nd overall respectively, while freshman Briony Bayles came in at a tie for 50th.

“We had a good first round,” head coach Kristi Knight said to K-State Sports about the first round of competition on Monday. “Chloe and Ella played steady. I am also proud of Reid and Briony; they both got off to a poor start by going 3-over on their first two holes. They both showed a lot of grit.”

Competition resumed on Tuesday for the third and final round. When the tournament ended, K-State came in with a ninth overall finish. The Wildcats finished ahead of Dallas Baptist University, the University of Tennessee at Chattanooga and Kentucky.

Adams went 3-over-par 75 in round three, coming in at ninth overall for the whole tournament.

Both Isaac and McSherry shot 4-over-par 76 in the final round. Bayles carded 7-over-par 79, while Weir shot 9-over-par 81 to finish out the invitational.

Individual play for K-State was rounded by Weir finishing tied for 42nd, Isaac at 46th place, McSherry tied for 49th, and Bayles rounded it out, coming at 55th overall.

The SMU/Trinity Forest Invitational marked the last of the fall portion of K-State’s schedule. The next competition for the Wildcats will be at The Dickson in The Woodlands Township, Texas, hosted by the University of Houston. This tournament will take place Feb. 25 and 26.

This account was generated by Camayak on 2017-09-06, please refer to http://support.camayak.com/connect-your-camayak-account-to-your-existing-wordpress-account/ if you wish to delete it.