Oklahoma reclaims top spot in Big 12 power rankings

0
177
K-State plays football against Mississippi State in Bill Snyder Family Stadium on Sept. 8, 2018. The Bulldogs beat the Wildcats 31-10. (Logan Wassall | Collegian Media Group)

There are only a few weeks remaining in the season and Kyler Murray is making his case for the Heisman, while West Virginia and Texas face off for the second spot in the Big 12.

10. Texas Christian University (3-5, 1-4)

TCU lost to Kansas 27-26 on Saturday.

Quarterback Michael Collins filled in for the injured Shawn Robinson and threw for 351 yards and one touchdown, while rushing for two more.

The Horned Frogs amassed 504 yards of offense while giving up just 307 to the Jayhawks, but were haunted by surrendering two turnovers.

TCU will try to bounce back as they host Kansas State on Saturday at 2:30 p.m. on FS1.

9. The University of Kansas (3-5, 1-4)

The Jayhawks won their first conference game this season after defeating TCU 27-26.

Quarterback Peyton Bender threw for 249 yards and two touchdowns. Running back Pooka Williams Jr. ran 11 times for 33 yards, but had seven receptions for 102 yards and two touchdowns.

Kansas will host Iowa State on Saturday at 11 a.m. on the Fox Sports Network.

8. Kansas State University (3-5, 1-4)

K-State was absolutely dominated in a 51-14 loss to Oklahoma in Norman, Oklahoma, last Saturday.

Quarterback Skylar Thompson threw for just 108 yards, while rushing for 54 yards and a touchdown. Running back Justin Silmon scored the only other Wildcat touchdown on Saturday.

The Wildcats will travel to Fort Worth, Texas, to play TCU on Saturday at 2:30 p.m. on FS1.

7. Baylor University (4-4, 2-3)

Baylor was rocked by West Virginia 58-14 last Thursday night.

The Bears turned the ball over four times in the game, along with only gaining 287 yards of offense.

Quarterback Charlie Brewer went one-for-eight passing with 22 yards and three interceptions before being replaced by Jalan McClendon. McClendon threw for 183 yards and rushed for a touchdown.

Baylor will play Oklahoma State on 11 a.m. on Saturday on FS1.

6. Oklahoma State University (5-3, 2-3)

Oklahoma State upset No. 6 Texas, 38-35 in Stillwater, Oklahoma, in primetime on Saturday night.

Quarterback Taylor Cornelius threw for 321 yards and three touchdowns, adding two more touchdowns on the ground.

Oklahoma State still leads the Big 12 in sacks with 31, and defensive end Jordan Brailford leads the conference with nine.

The Cowboys will play Baylor on Saturday at 11 a.m. on FS1.

5. Texas Tech University (5-3, 3-2)

Texas Tech lost to Iowa State 40-31 in Ames, Iowa, on Saturday.

Quarterback Alan Bowman threw one touchdown, rushed for a touchdown and threw three interceptions in the contest.

Texas Tech still leads the Big 12 in passing offense, averaging 377 pass yards per game.

The Red Raiders managed to score touchdowns off a blocked punt as well as a fumble recovery touchdown.

Defensive back Adrian Frye leads the conference in interceptions (4) and passes defended (15).

Texas Tech will play Oklahoma on Saturday at 7 p.m. on ABC.

4. No. 15 The University of Texas (6-2, 4-1)

Texas’ undefeated Big 12 record came to an end on Saturday night after a 38-35 loss to Oklahoma State.

Quarterback Sam Ehlinger threw for 283 yards and two touchdowns and ran for two as well.

Statistically, the Longhorns are not going to stand out on paper, but the team still has an opportunity to compete for the Big 12 title.

Texas will play West Virginia on Saturday at 2:30 p.m. on FOX in a game with high Big 12 championship implications.

3. Iowa State University (4-3, 3-2)

Iowa State is on a tear right now after defeating Texas Tech, 40-31 on Saturday.

Freshman Brock Purdy has led the Cyclones to three straight victories, and threw for 250 yards and two touchdowns in the win against Texas Tech.

David Montgomery rushed for 125 yards and two touchdowns. Montgomery now leads the Big 12 in rushing, averaging 108 yards per game.

Iowa State will travel to Lawrence to face Kansas on Saturday at 11 a.m. on the Fox Sports Network.

2. No. 12 West Virginia University (6-1, 4-1)

In West Virginia’s 58-14 blowout win over Baylor last week, quarterback Will Grier threw for 353 yards and three touchdowns. David Sills V caught two touchdown passes as well.

West Virginia still has the best defense in the Big 12 in terms of points allowed, allowing 20 points per game to opponents.

The Mountaineers will play Texas on Saturday at 2:30 on FOX in a battle for second place in the Big 12.

1. No. 7 The University of Oklahoma (7-1, 4-1)

The Sooners proved their dominance in a 51-14 rout of K-State last week.

Kyler Murray threw for 352 yards and three touchdowns and ran for one more. Murray did not play the final 23 minutes of the game.

Running back Kennedy Brooks rushed for 94 yards and two touchdowns, and wide receiver CeeDee Lamb had four receptions for 160 yards and two touchdowns.

Oklahoma remains the number one scoring offense in the Big 12 (48.9 points per game) and leads the conference in total offense averaging 548 yards per game.

Oklahoma will play Texas Tech on Saturday at 7 p.m. on ABC.