After fall to TCU, K-State tied with KU for last place in Big 12

Sophomore wide receiver Wykeen Gill holds onto the ball as he's tackled by a TCU player. The Wildcats lost 14-13 to TCU in Fort Worth, Texas, on Saturday.

The Kansas State football team fell to the TCU Horned Frogs 14-13 in a low-scoring game on Saturday in Fort Worth, Texas.

It was a sloppy, not well-played game by both teams. Special teams were awful for both teams and both offenses struggled to get anything going.

Redshirt sophomore quarterback Skylar Thompson started for the fourth straight game. On the second drive, on a third-and-short, Thompson attempted to run for the first down and was tackled hard just short of the first-down marker.

Trainers came onto the field to help Thompson off the field as he was slow to get up, junior quarterback Alex Delton then came into the game –this is the first time he stepped on the field since he suffered his injury against Texas. Delton went on to play the remainder of the game.

The sloppiness of K-State’s special teams continues as the Wildcats fumbled TCU’s punt after their defense held TCU to a three-and-out, giving TCU the ball in Kansas State territory.

The Horned Frogs then took advantage and got on the scoreboard, as junior running back Darius Anderson rushed for four yards into the end zone followed by the extra point to put TCU ahead 7-0 three minutes into the game.

The Wildcats were able to tie up the game in the first quarter as Delton found freshman wide receiver Malik Knowles for a 21-yard touchdown, as the extra point by Blake Lynch tied the game up at 7-7.

The next score in the game came with five minutes remaining in the third quarter, as the Horned Frogs regained the lead. Sophomore quarterback Michael Collins connected with sophomore wide receiver Jalen Reagor for a 67-yard touchdown pass. Reagor tussled for the ball with Kansas State’s sophomore defensive back A.J. Parker, then secured the football, shook Parker off him and ran for a touchdown.

The Wildcats still came back with firepower, as Delton forced his way into the end zone behind blocks from the offensive line on a 4th-and-inches on a quarterback sneak, but then Lynch missed the extra point attempt and allowed the Horned Frogs to keep a one-point lead – which ended up being the difference in the game.

K-State’s defense was able to get a stop on the Horned Frogs following offensive possession, which allowed the Wildcats to have a chance for a game-winning drive. The Wildcats had to start this drive inside their own five-yard line after TCU’s punt. Delton connected with senior wide receiver Zach Reuter for a 31-yard pass that got the Wildcats to TCU’s 46-yard line with four minutes remaining.

K-State then seemed to be in good shape to at least give Lynch a chance to kick a game-winning field goal. But on the next play Delton was sacked for a loss of eleven yards, and on the next play Delton was flagged for intentional grounding.

After two incomplete passes intended for junior wide receiver Dalton Schoen, Delton threw an interception on fourth and 21 which sealed the game for the Horned Frogs.

Delton ended the game throwing 15-25, 155 yards, and recorded two total touchdowns. Junior running Back Alex Barnes had a solid day running for 102 yards on 23 carries.

The Wildcats now sit at 3-6 and sit in a tie for last place with the Kansas Jayhawks, as the Jayhawks fell to Iowa State 27-3.

With three games remaining in the season, the Wildcats need to win out to become bowl eligible.

K-State will host the Jayhawks next Saturday at 11 a.m.