Election Day 2018: Who is on your ballot?

0
223
Photo illustration by Hannah Greer | Collegian Media Group

Congressional campaign

Incumbent Roger Marshall (R) faces off against challenger Alan LaPolice (D) in the race for U.S. House Representative for Kansas’ 1st Congressional District.

Marshall, a physician-turned-politician, has held the position for a year. At the beginning of the 115th Congress, he was assigned to the Committee on Agriculture, Committee on Science, Space, and Technology and the Committee on Small Business.

Marshall advocates for reduced government involvement in health care, business and agriculture. He is staunchly pro-life and supports the Second Amendment. His largest campaign donor, according to opensecrets.org, is Poet LLC, a biofuel company that specializes in the creation of bioethanol.

LaPolice is an educator and served on his local school board. He ran as an independent candidate for the U.S. House of Representatives in 2016 and has now moved to the Democratic Party.

LaPolice supports open markets and reduced tariffs for agriculture, environmental regulations, a water policy to support agriculture and crop insurance and believes a seasonal guest worker program would encourage legal immigration. The bulk of his fundraising comes from individual donations.

Gubernatorial campaign

The candidates for governor of Kansas include Kris Kobach (R), Laura Kelly (D), Jeff Caldwell (L) and Greg Orman (I).

Kobach has served as Kansas secretary of state since 2011. He was last re-elected in 2014.

He supports President Trump, low taxes and regulations, term limits for all legislative and statewide elected officials, reduced spending, the Second Amendment and pro-life policies. He also has a history of controversy surrounding his involvement in state voting laws. His largest campaign donor is his running mate, Wink Hartman.

Kelly has served as a Kansas state senator representing District 18 since 2005. She was last re-elected in 2016.

She supports a change in economic policies from the Brownback era, investment in education and infrastructure, LGBTQ civil rights, expansion of Medicare, pro-choice policies, restriction of guns in public places and support for rural communities. The bulk of her fundraising comes from individual donations not exceeding $2,000.

Caldwell was previously a 2014 Libertarian candidate for District 36 of the Kansas House of Representatives.

He supports removing taxes on food and water, reducing taxes for farmers and ranchers, reducing the gas tax, legalizing cannabis and hemp, tax-exempt tips for the service industry, ending civil asset forfeiture and abolishing daylight saving time. Fundraising information for his campaign is not available.

Orman was a non-affiliated candidate who sought election to the U.S. Senate in 2014. He also ran as a Democratic candidate against Pat Roberts in January 2008 before withdrawing a month later.

He supports leaving behind political animosity, transparency in the legislative process, investment in wind and solar resources, industrial hemp, re-balancing the state’s budget, repealing Brownback’s tax policy, access to affordable health care for all Kansans, the Second Amendment with a stronger background check system and increased access to contraception in order to reduce abortions. Orman’s campaign is largely self-funded.

Kansas House of Representatives, District 66

The candidates for the district representing about half of Manhattan are the incumbent Sydney Carlin (D) and challenger Edgar Chambers V (L).

Carlin has been representing District 66 since 2003. Prior to this, she was the Manhattan city commissioner and then mayor in 1996.

She supports higher education and Kansas State by extension, protecting the courts, transparency in government, a “Do No Harm” tax policy, expansion of Medicaid and social services. The bulk of her fundraising for her campaign is filed under “un-itemized donations,” or contributions of $200 or less.

Chambers is the 1st District coordinator for the Libertarian Party of Kansas and has strong ties to K-State, as his father, Edgar Chambers IV, is a professor in the department of food, nutrition, dietetics and health.

He supports the legalization of cannabis and its subsequent taxation to support education, eliminating the sales tax on food and water, term limits for Kansas politicians, prison reform, freedom of speech on college campuses, an increase in funding for education and reform of the immigration process. Fundraising information for his campaign is not available.

Hi there! I’m Leah Zimmerli, community desk co-editor, relentless optimist, and lover of big and small dogs. I’m a junior in political science and journalism from Overland Park, Kansas. I hope to bring you pieces that challenge you, that broaden your mindset, and help you learn more about your K-State community.