Here’s how to plan your wedding after catching the bride’s bouquet

0
44
(Photo illustration by George Walker | Collegian Media Group)

You just caught the bouquet at your distant cousin’s wedding. This omen doesn’t come without questions.

With your dream wedding imminent according to traditional superstition, you have a lot of planning to do. Thankfully, you have a guide to do the majority of the work for you.

First step, acquire a partner

This is potentially the hardest part of your dream wedding. A celebration of love can’t come to its full fruition without a solid relationship being the center of it.

As much as the divorce statistics could be subsided if we had a “build-a-babe,” our technology is not advanced enough to manifest your beau.

Find someone who will grow with you, and not just the “you” plastered onto dating sites. We all know you don’t enjoy running that much. Find a partner who also truthfully despises running as much as you do and doesn’t mind you shoving your ice-cold feet between their legs come wintertime.

Set a date

When you announce your engagement, this will be the first question you will be asked. By selecting a specific date, you will then be able to narrow down what locations, themes and opportunities are available to you.

Plan a theme

Planning a cohesive theme will avoid stylistic confusion during your planning. Find an aesthetic that embodies the personality of both your partner and yourself.

Some common themes listed by the website Brides are vintage, whimsical, modern, rustic, bohemian, casual and southern-style.

Planning a theme will also help you determine your budget.

Create a budget

Communicate with your partner and figure out how much each of you are willing to contribute to get hitched. Determine this with a financially realistic view to ensure your honeymoon isn’t spent worrying about the impending doom that is your credit card bill.

Select your guests

By selecting who will be at your special day, you’ll be able to narrow down your budget when it comes to catering and other necessities.

If individuals are offended by not being able to witness your ceremony, don’t sweat it. This day is about you and your partner, not them. Kindly tell them there was not enough placements financially, and recognize that a true friend would be happy for you regardless of if they had a slice of your wedding cake or not. Heck, maybe there will be leftovers.

Gather support

If you’re a control freak, this is where you need to let go. In order to ensure your sanity, allocating funds for a wedding planner or consultant would be ideal.

Utilizing an online checklist that is available to be viewed by family members will help relatives know how they can realistically assist you. Yeah, a new blender may be nice, but this will help result in a fiscally responsible wedding.

Fun stuff

Now with your key foundations set, you can gather the fun items for you wedding. This involves buying flowers, dresses, tuxes, décor, music, party favors and more.

No matter what your planning involves, know what matters most — your significant other and your life-long journey.

All champagne and bohemian décor aside, even the most stylish wedding doesn’t secure a relationship. Make sure to continue open communication with your partner, and be grateful for the little things. Through that, a healthy relationship can flourish.

Katelin Woods is the Culture Editor for the Collegian and a junior in theatre and public relations, with an outside concentration in psychology. She is a poetry, pizza roll, and pajama enthusiast. When she's not in the newsroom, she's visiting kittens at pet stores wishing pet deposits weren't a thing. If interested in writing for the Culture desk, contact her at krwoods@ksu.edu. You can also Venmo this broke college student at @Katelin-Woods-2 to fuel her pizza roll addiction.