K-State football looks ahead to Saturday’s Sunflower Showdown

0
205
Football game between K-State and KU at Bill Snyder Family Stadium on Nov. 26, 2016. (Archive photo by George Walker | Collegian Media Group)

The Kansas State football team flipped the page after the loss to TCU last Saturday, moving on to talk about playing rival Kansas at Tuesday’s press conference.

K-State will have to win its final three games of the season in order to make a bowl game this season. This week, the Wildcats must be ready for an improved Kansas Jayhawks team that beat TCU two weeks ago.

At Tuesday’s press conference, head coach Bill Snyder said “it’s easy to say I expect to win, period.”

Snyder acknowledged that a win does not come without preparation.

“For me to say we are going to win and not do anything about it when preparing for it, then that doesn’t make sense,” he added.

Last season, K-State beat Kansas 30-20 in Lawrence, and Snyder said he recognizes that this year’s game will be competitive as well.

“Last year it was a one-touchdown ballgame, late in the ballgame, three minutes to go,” he said. “It is competitive, very much so. KU has become a competitive football team.”

KU freshman running back Pooka Williams Jr. has burst onto the scene this year. The New Orleans native is averaging 88.9 rushing yards per game, which is fourth in the Big 12. He has four touchdowns in the running game, and has two receiving touchdowns and 259 receiving yards as well.

Snyder said that Williams can create problems for K-State due to his talent, saying that he can make defenders miss. He also commented on his capability in the receiving game.

“He has had games with six to seven catches, which makes him a viable threat in that part of it as well,” Snyder said.

While the Wildcats are fighting to become bowl eligible, they are also fighting to retain bragging rights over the Governor’s Cup trophy and to be the best Division I football team in the state of Kansas.

“We’re fighting for the state of Kansas,” senior wide receiver Zach Reuter said. “I think that’s definitely extra motivation, especially in the position that we’re in. We’re in no position to look past anyone.”

The Jayhawks and Wildcats will battle it out on Saturday inside Bill Snyder Family Stadium with kickoff set for 11 a.m. and the game televised on Fox Sports Network.