K-State volleyball swept by No. 5 Texas, will take on Baylor on Saturday

0
30

The Kansas State volleyball team was swept in three sets by the fifth-ranked Texas Longhorns on Wednesday night.

K-State is now 13-10 overall and 3-9 in Big 12 play, while the Longhorns are now 16-4 overall and 10-1 in conference play.

Texas had more kills and had a better hitting percentage than the Wildcats in all three sets.

The Longhorns had 13 kills in the first set while K-State only had 11. K-State was held to a .242 hitting percentage as Texas won the opening set, 25-19.

In set two, the Longhorns dominated the Wildcats in a 25-15 set victory and had a match-high 16 kills.

The Wildcats were held to nine kills in the set, as Texas had a 68 percent side out percentage in the set. Side out percentage measures points scored on serves received divided by total attempts.

In the final set of the match, the Longhorns won 25-19. Texas had 14 kills in the third set, and its defense was strong as well, holding K-State to a .114 hitting percentage.

K-State was led in kills by freshman Gloria Mutiri who had seven, while senior outside hitter Kylee Zumach had six in the losing effort.

As a team, K-State hit .180 and only had 30 assists in the entire match. A prominent stat of the night for the Wildcats was 10 service errors, which essentially gave Texas free points.

Next up for the Wildcats is a match with the Baylor Bears. They will attempt to win their second match since Oct. 21 and sweep the season series with the Bears.

K-State defeated Baylor on Oct. 20 in straight sets. At the time, Baylor was No. 24 in the country. The Bears have played really well since that loss, however, as they have won their past three matches, including a win over Kansas.

The Wildcats will host the Bears inside of Ahearn Field House at 6 p.m. on Saturday. The match will stream on ESPN3 and will be broadcast on KMAN radio.