Oklahoma, West Virginia remain atop Big 12 power rankings

0
122

With only three weeks remaining in the season, Oklahoma and West Virginia remain at the top and are eyeing the Big 12 Championship. In addition, one team will be officially eliminated from bowl game contention this week in the Sunflower Showdown.

10. University of Kansas (3-6, 1-5)

Kansas failed to find the end zone against Iowa State in a 27-3 loss in Lawrence.

Athletic director Jeff Long announced on Sunday that head coach David Beaty would not be retained following the season.

Running backs Pooka Williams Jr. (711 yards, four touchdowns) and Khalil Herbert (374 yards, three touchdowns) will be a dual threat in the backfield for the Jayhawks against K-State.

Defensively, linebacker Joe Dineen Jr. leads the Big 12 in tackles with 110 on the season, and KU is ranked third nationally in turnover margin.

The Jayhawks will travel to Manhattan for the Sunflower Showdown against Kansas State at 11 a.m. Saturday on the Fox Sports Network.

9. Kansas State University (3-6, 1-5)

After a devastating 14-13 loss to TCU on Saturday, K-State must win each of its remaining three games in order to keep its streak of eight consecutive bowl games alive.

In Saturday’s loss, the Wildcats missed an extra point and turned the ball over three times.

Quarterback Alex Delton played in his first game since Sept. 29 against Texas. The junior threw for 155 yards and one touchdown and rushed for another touchdown in the loss. That lone touchdown pass was to freshman wide receiver Malik Knowles.

K-State will host in-state rival Kansas for the Governor’s Cup trophy and is currently an 11.5-point favorite.

8. Texas Christian University (4-5, 2-4)

TCU kept its postseason hopes alive with a 14-13 victory over K-State on Saturday.

Quarterback Michael Collins threw for 218 yards and a touchdown, while running back Darius Anderson had 13 carries for 48 yards and a touchdown.

The Horned Frogs’ defense ranks third in the Big 12 in scoring defense, holding opponents to 23.7 points per game.

TCU will make the journey to Morgantown, West Virginia, to face West Virginia on Saturday at 11 a.m. on FS1.

7. Oklahoma State University (5-4, 2-4)

After knocking off No. 6 Texas two weekends ago, Oklahoma State lost to Baylor on Saturday by a score of 35-31.

Quarterback Taylor Cornelius threw for 197 yards and one touchdown and ran in another. Running back Justice Hill adding 119 yards and a touchdown on the ground.

The Cowboys are just one win away from being bowl eligible despite being 2-4 in the conference.

The Cowboys will play rival Oklahoma in the Bedlam Series on Saturday at 2:30 p.m. on ABC.

6. Baylor University (5-4, 3-3)

Baylor now needs one win to officially become bowl eligible after defeating Oklahoma State 35-31 on Saturday.

Quarterback Charlie Brewer did not start the game, but entered in the fourth quarter and threw for 56 yards and two touchdowns to help the Bears get the win.

Running back John Lovett had his second 100-yard game of the season, rushing for 104 yards and a touchdown.

The Bears will take the road to play Iowa State on Saturday at 2:30 p.m. on FS1.

5. Texas Tech University (5-4, 3-3)

Texas Tech lost 51-46 in a shootout against Oklahoma on Saturday night.

Quarterback Alan Bowman started and played the first half before exiting with an injury.

Bowman threw for 227 yards and two touchdowns before exiting the game. Jett Duffey filled in, throwing for two touchdowns and running for another.

The Red Raiders will play Texas on Saturday at 6:30 p.m. on FOX.

4. No. 17 The University of Texas (6-3, 4-2)

Texas was leading by a touchdown before West Virginia marched down the field, scored a touchdown and a two-point conversion, as the Longhorns fell 42-41.

Quarterback Sam Ehlinger threw for 354 yards and three touchdowns and rushed for a touchdown. Wide receiver Lil’Jordan Humphrey had nine receptions for 143 yards and a touchdown, but their efforts were not enough as the Longhorns dropped their second straight game.

Texas will face off against Texas Tech in primetime on Saturday at 6:30 p.m. on FOX. The Longhorns are a 1.5-point favorite, but ESPN’s Football Power Index gives Tech a 60.2 percent chance to win.

3. No. 24 Iowa State (5-3, 4-2)

Iowa State dominated on the road against the Jayhawks in a 27-3 victory on Saturday.

Quarterback Brock Purdy threw for 263 yards and three touchdowns, with wide receiver Hakeem Butler hauling in five receptions for 164 yards and two touchdowns.

The Cyclone defense had two goal-line stands to prevent the Jayhawks from scoring a touchdown.

Iowa State will play Baylor in Ames, Iowa, on Saturday at 2:30 p.m. on FS1 and is a 14.5-point favorite.

2. No. 13 West Virginia University (7-1, 5-1)

West Virginia defeated Texas 42-41 on Saturday, putting the Mountaineers in a good position to reach the Big 12 Championship game.

Quarterback Will Grier threw for 346 yards and three touchdowns. Wide receiver David Sills V added to his touchdown total with two touchdowns and leads the Big 12 in scoring touchdowns with 11.

Running back Martell Pettaway also showed out with nine carries for 121 yards and two touchdowns.

The Mountaineers will return home to play TCU on Saturday at 11 a.m. on FS1, currently as a 12.5-point favorite.

1. No. 7 The University of Oklahoma (8-1, 5-1)

Oklahoma escaped Lubbock with a 51-46 win over Texas Tech last weekend.

Quarterback Kyler Murray threw two early interceptions but rebounded to throw for 360 yards and three touchdowns. He also had a 12-yard rushing touchdown to add to his Heisman resumé.

Running back Trey Sermon had a career-high day as he ran for 206 yards and three touchdowns for the Sooners.

The Sooners are ranked second nationally in total offense averaging 563 yards per game.

Oklahoma will play Oklahoma State in the annual Bedlam Series game on Saturday at 2:30 p.m. on ABC, currently sitting as an 18-point favorite.