Student who reported racist sign also admits to creating it, K-State says

0
4469
A parking lot at Jardine Apartments on March 12, 2017. (Logan Wassall | The Collegian)

Almost a year to the day after a racism hoax upended K-State and prompted widespread outrage, a Kansas State police investigation concluded that the person who originally reported a racist sign on their apartment Monday evening admitted to creating and posting it as well.

In a release sent out Thursday afternoon, K-State Police said upon questioning, the person who originally reported the incident to the university also admitted to creating and posting the poster.

On Monday evening, Brodrick Burse tweeted a picture of a racist sign he said he had found on his apartment door. The sign said “Beware N*****s Live Here!!! Knock at your own risk.”

The university’s release said the matter and student would be dealt with in accordance with university procedures. Jeffery Morris, vice president for communications and marketing, said he could not confirm if that student was Burse, citing student confidentiality in disciplinary procedures.

“We are following the procedures outlined in the SGA bylaws for potential violations of the student code of conduct. The proceedings and results are confidential,” Pat Bosco, vice president of student life and dean of students, said in an emailed statement.

The range of possible findings include finding of no violation of the student code, reprimand, contract adjustments, fines, educational programming to be completed, suspension for a specific period of time, and dismissal, Bosco said.

The incident comes almost exactly a year after a similar incident, in which Dauntarius Williams admitted to vandalizing his own car with racist slurs. The incident prompted campus outrage and the first KSUnite.

Hi there! I’m Julie Freijat, a staff writer at the Collegian. I’m a freshman majoring in journalism and mass communications; I believe accessible and accurate information is critical for a healthy society. I love insects, I hate poor movie dialogue and my favorite subreddit is r/truecrime.