Volleyball swept by Baylor at home

0
46
The volleyball team comes together for a huddle at the Sunflower Showdown match at Ahearn Field House on Sept. 24, 2017. (Archive photo by Kelly Pham | Collegian Media Group)

The Kansas State volleyball team played Baylor for the second time this season inside Ahearn Field House on Saturday.

In the first match this season in Waco, Texas, K-State swept Baylor in three sets.

K-State, now 13-11, 3-10 in Big 12 play, was swept by Baylor at home and ends the regular season series 1-1.

Baylor, who is 17-7 and 9-4 against conference opponents, took the first set 25-18. The Bears led 21-10 at one time on a kill from sophomore setter Hannah Lockin. K-State managed to pull within six on a kill from sophomore middle blocker Peyton Williams, but Baylor was able to score the final two points needed to claim the set.

In the second set, after K-State scored 17, Baylor was able to pull away with six straight points to win the set 25-17 and go ahead 2-0.

Early on the Wildcats were down 12-5, then two service aces from sophomore setter Hannah Lockin put Baylor ahead 14-5. The Bears were ahead 23-7 and the Wildcats managed to score four times, but it was not enough as Baylor was able to win the match 25-11.

The Bears had a 43-28 advantage for kills and hit for .322 on the night. For the match, Baylor’s defense collected 10 team blocks and held K-State to a hitting efficiency of .103.

Baylor redshirt junior middle blocker Shelly Fanning led the team with 11 kills and a .429 hitting percentage with eight block assists. Sophomore outside hitter Yossiana Pressley collected 10 kills with four block assists for the Bears.

“Baylor’s a great volleyball team, credit to them,” head coach Suzie Fritz said to K-State Sports. “But I thought we played as poor as we have all year.”

“From a serve-and-pass perspective, we were very much off,” Fritz said. “We struggled in serve-receive to, I think, stabilize a little bit. We ended up in a high-ball battle and tried to get our outside hitters to bail us out. We were uncharacteristically passive with our serving, and then we couldn’t seem to get any phase to click.”

K-State only had 28 kills in this match which redshirt senior outside hitter Kylee Zumach led the Wildcats with seven of her own and seven digs. Redshirt freshman outside hitter Brooke Heyne and fellow freshman outside hitter Gloria Mutiri contributed five kills each.

The Wildcats struggled both early on and at the end where they never led in the first or third set. K-State finished with a hitting efficiency of .038 in the final set while Baylor hit .407. Baylor had six aces to K-State’s one.

The next match for K-State will be Wednesday against in-state rival Kansas. The match is scheduled to begin at 6:30 p.m. in Lawrence, and fans can listen to the game on KMAN radio.

This account was generated by Camayak on 2017-09-06, please refer to http://support.camayak.com/connect-your-camayak-account-to-your-existing-wordpress-account/ if you wish to delete it.