K-State Sports Preview: Week of Nov. 12

0
30
In between sets and during timeouts, the K-State cheer squad kept the fans pumped up for the volleyball game against Iowa State on Oct. 10, 2018. (File photo by Alex Todd | Collegian Media Group)

Men’s basketball

The No. 12 Wildcats started their season 1-0 as they defeated the Kennesaw State Owls 51-46 Friday night in Bramlage Coliseum.

Senior forward Dean Wade and senior guard Barry Brown Jr. both led the Wildcats in 15 points in the win.

Junior power forward Makol Mawien was just behind Wade and Brown with 13 points.

The Wildcats will play their second game of the year Monday against the Denver Pioneers. This game will be the second of a doubleheader as the women’s team will play the first game. Denver is also 1-0; they defeated Maine in their first game 63-50.

Junior forward Xavier Sneed will most likely make his regular-season debut at this game. He was held out of the opener as he tweaked his ankle in pre-game warmups.

The Wildcats will be hoping for better luck shooting from the three-point range, as they were just 1-13 as a team against Kennesaw State.

The game against Denver will tip off at 8 p.m. in Bramlage and can be watched on FSKC and WatchESPN.

Women’s basketball

The Wildcats will begin their season against the Omaha Mavericks Monday night in the first game of the doubleheader in Bramlage.

The Mavericks come into this game with a 1-0 record after defeating USC Upstate 96-69.

The Wildcats are led by senior guard Kayla Goth, who is on the Nancy Lieberman Award watch list and the Big 12 Preseason All-Big 12 team.

The game against Omaha will tip off at 5:30 p.m. and will be televised on K-StateHDTV and broadcast on K-State Sports Network.

K-State will also play host to the North Texas Mean Green on Friday at 7 p.m. Friday.

The Mean Green defeated Mid-American Christian University 82-35 to begin their season 1-0 and will play at No. 11 Texas University on Monday before they make their trip to Manhattan.

Volleyball

K-State (13-11, 3-10) will continue its season as they take on in-state rival Kansas. The Wildcats will be going for a sweep of the Jayhawks as they beat the Jayhawks in the first matchup of the year in Manhattan.

The Wildcats have been shut out in their last two matches, losing to the No. 5 Texas Longhorns and the Baylor Bears.

The Jayhawks are coming off a loss to No. 5 Texas over the weekend. The game will begin at 6:30 p.m. Wednesday in Lawrence. It can also be viewed on KMAN and ESPN+.

Cross country

The men and women competed at the NCAA Midwest Regional on Friday. The men took 17th place, and the women took 18th place.

Both teams will finish their seasons at the NCAA Championships on Saturday in Madison, Wisconsin.