K-State tennis finishes fall season at Thunderbird Classic

0
22

The K-State tennis team finished up its last tournament of the 2018 fall season in Tempe, Arizona at the Whiteman Tennis Center.

Day one
The team picked up four singles wins and a doubles win on Friday to kick off the weekend.

Freshman Maria Ponomareva, sophomore Maria Linares, sophomore Rosanna Maffei and junior Ines Mesquita went 3-1 in singles play in three sets each. Sophomores Margot Decker and Anna Turco picked up a win against the University of San Diego’s Nicole Anderson and Maria Tyrina, 7-5.

Turco also picked up a singles win against Washington’s Katarina Kopcalic, 6-0 and 6-4.

The Wildcats went 0-2 against Kansas and Washington in doubles play. Washington’s Vanessa Wong and Kopcalic defeated Mesquita and Linares, 7-5. While Maffei and Ponomareva fell to the Jayhawks’ Julia Deming and Plobrug Plipuech, 6-4.

The second team of Decker and Turco along with junior Ioana Gheorghita, who was paired with Washington freshman Delara Zamani, ended 2-2 against Washington and Kansas.

Day two
Linares had the top performance on Saturday, defeating 24th-ranked Wong in three sets, 2-6, 6-4, 6-4. Maffei also picked up a win against Deming, which helped K-State split its four singles matches on day two against the Jayhawks and Huskies.

The Wildcat doubles team went 1-1 against Arizona State. Maffei and Ponomareva got the win and defeated Tereza Kolarova and Sasa Klanecek.

Decker, Turco, Gheorghita and Washington’s Natsuho Arkawa went 3-1 in singles play against the University of Michigan.

The Wildcats were 0-2 in doubles play on the second day of competition.

Day three
Ponomareva snagged K-State’s only singles victory on Sunday by defeating Arizona State’s Sasa Klanecek in straight sets. She finished 2-1 in singles play over the weekend.

The team went 1-3 against opponents from Pepperdine and Arizona State, including losses by Linares, Maffei and Mesquita.

Turco and Gheorghita fell in three sets to two players from the University of California.

Turco and Maffei finished the weekend 2-1 in singles action.

Decker and Turco paired up for doubles but lost a close match to Bella Lorezini and Alyvia Jones of Michigan, losing 7-6 after a tiebreaker. The other doubles teams went 0-2 against teams from Texas Tech.

At the conclusion of the invitational, head coach Jordan Smith spoke with K-State Sports.

“There were a lot of good moments from our team,” Smith said. “Our first spring match is 10 weeks away, and it gives us time to recharge from the fall and prep for another great spring season.”

The Wildcats will start their spring season on Jan. 19 as they welcome the University of South Dakota to Manhattan.

Molly Hackett
I'm Molly Hackett, the assistant sports editor this semester. I attended St. James Academy just outside of Kanas City for high school and I am currently a junior in mass communications with an emphasis in digital media and a minor in business. In my free time, I love to ride my moped, spend time with friends and family, play sports, drink coffee and take naps.