Barry Brown, Maria Linares are top Wildcat performers of last week

0
32
Then-freshman Maria Linares prepares to serve against North Texas on Feb. 9, 2018 at Body First Indoor Tennis Center. The Wildcats won 4 matches to 3. (Logan Wassall | Collegian Media Group)

The Kansas State tennis and men’s basketball teams are represented in this week’s edition of Collegian Athletes of the Week, as Maria Linares and Barry Brown Jr. are recognized for their performances.

The tennis team competed in the three-day Thunderbird Classic, hosted by Arizona State University in Tempe, Arizona, over the weekend.

Although losing in singles play on Friday and Sunday, Linares recorded a top 25 victory on Saturday. The sophomore defeated 24th-ranked Vanessa Wong from the University of Washington.

Head coach Jordan Smith told K-State Sports that Linares “played a complete match [Saturday] and got one of her best wins.”

MBBvs.DENVER-30.jpg
Guard Barry Brown Jr. sweeps through at the game against the University of Denver. The Wildcats beat Denver 64-56. (Meg Shearer | Collegian Media Group)

Brown had a strong second half in K-State’s 64-56 win over the University of Denver on Monday night. The senior from Florida had 15 of his 25 points in the second half, as the Wildcats advanced to 2-0 on the season.

Brown chalked his explosive second half up to his trying to get open and his teammates getting him the ball.

“I tried to just let it happen,” Brown said. “And then my teammates kind of put me in the right position when they [Denver] were going zone, telling me to get on the baseline. I just ran to the baseline, and they found me, and I was able to make the shots for them.”

The men’s basketball team will travel next to the St. Thomas, U.S. Virgin Islands to play three games in four days at the U.S. Virgin Islands Paradise Jam.