K-State Women’s basketball tames the Mean Green 60-42

0
34
K-State junior Jasauen Beard smiles to a teammate during a free throw. K-State beat the North Texas Mean Green 60-42 in Bramlage Coliseum on November 16, 2018. (Alex Todd | Collegian Media Group)

The Kansas State Women’s basketball team was back in action on Friday night against North Texas.

The Wildcats started the game strong on a 9-0 run during a three-minute-long scoring drought by North Texas to force the Mean Green to call a timeout halfway through the first quarter.

Kayla Goth scored nine points in the first quarter including a shot at the buzzer to end the quarter.

The Wildcats would end the half shooting 50 percent from the field and leading North Texas 22-10.

The Wildcats would barely outscore the Mean Green 13-11 in the second quarter.

Both teams would go on a four-minute scoring drought late in the second quarter and K-State did not Rachel Ranke hit a three to end field goal drought.

The Wildcats would lead the Mean Green 35-21 going into the half.

Kayla Goth led the Wildcats with 11 points and two assists in the half while Rachel Ranke had ten points and five rebounds.

The Wildcats shot 56 percent from the free-throw line.

North Texas would come within nine points of K-State late in the third quarter.

K-State was outscored 16-11 in the third quarter and remained in the lead 46-37.

The Wildcats opened up the scoring came in the fourth quarter adding another 14 points to their total with 12 of them being in the lane.

North Texas did not have a field goal for the majority of the fourth quarter, and the Mean Green finished the game on a three-minute scoring drought.

The Wildcats pulled away in the final quarter to earn the second victory of the season defeating North Texas 60-42.

Kali Jones recorded her first career double-double. Jones led the Wildcats in rebounds on the night with 11.

Kayla Goth scored 21 points and seven assists on the night.

Three Wildcats ended in double digits on Friday. Kayla Goth (21), Kali Jones (14), and Rachel Ranke (13).

The Wildcats will play Sunday in Manhattan on Sunday against UMKC at 1 p.m. on ESPN3 before heading to Cancun for the Cancun Challenge.