K-State women’s basketball hops over the Roos in 61-50 victory for 3-0 start

0
124
K-State freshman Savannah Simmons celebrates with the team after gaining two points over UMKC during the game on November 18, 2018. The Wildcats defeated the Kangaroos 61-50 in Bramlage Coliseum. (Alex Todd | Collegian Media Group)

The Kansas State women’s basketball team improved to 3-0 on Sunday after defeating the University of Missouri – Kansas City 61-50 in Manhattan.

Senior forward Kali Jones and junior forward Peyton Williams both had big days to help K-State to a 3-0 start in three straight home games to open the season.

Jones carried the Wildcats to a hot start in the opening quarter, scoring eight of her 14 points in the first quarter.

The game was tied at four for nearly two minutes before K-State would take the lead and never look back.

UMKC got itself back into the game with an 8-2 run to end the second quarter, finding itself trailing 28-26 at halftime.

K-State came out hot in the third third quarter, opening with a 10-0 run. The Wildcat defense was strong as well, as the ‘Roos shot just 13-percent from the floor and were held to only seven points in the entire third quarter.

The Wildcats went on another run in the middle of the fourth quarter, this time a 9-0 run that would push the lead to 16 and essentially seal the victory for K-State.

UMKC hit three three-pointers late in the fourth quarter to narrow the lead, but K-State came away with the 61-50 win.

Jones led the Wildcats with 14 points on the day, which tied her career high. She was one rebound away from a double-double with nine boards, and also racked up three blocks and two steals.

K-State was boosted by 21 bench points, led by Williams who scored 13 off the bench. Williams had a double-double with 13 points and 10 rebounds, tallying two blocks and two steals as well.

The Wildcats did not shoot particularly well, as they shot only 39-percent (27-68) from the field, including 15-percent (2-13) from behind the three-point line.

K-State’s domination of the boards overcame the poor shooting, as they outrebounded UMKC 50-38.

The Wildcats will now travel to Cancun, Mexico to compete in the Cancun Challenge. On Thursday, they will face No. 18 Syracuse, No. 15 DePaul on Friday, followed by Princeton on Saturday.

All games will stream on CBS Sports Digital and broadcast on the K-State Sports Radio Network.