Men’s basketball looks to continue its Paradise Jam trophy momentum against Lehigh Saturday

0
68
(Collegian Media Group)

The Kansas State men’s basketball team swept through the competition at the Paradise Jam to win the trophy.

Starting with a 95-68 thrashing of Eastern Kentucky last Friday, the Wildcats defeated Penn 64-48 on Sunday and finished things off with a 82-67 win over Missouri in the championship game on Monday.

Senior forward Dean Wade led the way and was named the Paradise Jam MVP after averaging 17.3 points per game and 6.3 rebounds per game during the tournament.

The defense was strong throughout the course of the championship run, as K-State forced double-digit turnovers in each game for a total of 50. The Wildcats capitalized on the turnovers by scoring 24 and 22 points off turnovers against Eastern Kentucky and Penn, finishing with 16 points off turnovers against Missouri.

Senior guard Kamau Stokes elevated his play during the tournament.

In the season’s first two games, Stokes totaled just eight points and shot 1-for-8 from behind the three-point line. In the Virgin Islands, he had games of 10, 16 and 10 points for an average of 12 points per game.

Stokes also upped his three-point shooting percentage, going 4-for-11 (44 percent) from deep during the tournament.

Through five games, three Wildcats are average double-digit points. Wade and Brown are averaging 15.8 and 15.6 points per game, respectively, while junior forward Xavier Sneed is averaging 13. Wade also leads the team with an average of 8.6 rebounds per game.

As a team, K-State is scoring an average of 72.2 points per game, and allowing 56 points per game to its opponents. The Wildcats have outrebounded opposing teams 192-153 this season, are averaging 8.2 steals per game and just over three blocks per game.

On Saturday, the Wildcats will host Lehigh University. The Mountain Hawks are 4-1 this season, with their only loss an 83-62 defeat at the hands of the University of Miami .

Lehigh has scored 75.4 points per game and allowed 68.4 points per game. It shoots an average of 44.3 percent on three-pointers. The leading scorer for the Mountain Hawks is senior guard Kyle Leufroy, who averages 16.2 points per game on 60.9 percent field goal shooting.

The Wildcats have won 25 straight against non-conference teams at home, and will look to extend that streak at 3:30 p.m. inside Bramlage Coliseum Saturday.

The game will be televised on FOX Sports Kansas City and stream on FOX Sports Go and the FOX Sports app, as well as ESPN3. A radio broadcast of the game will be available on the K-State Sports Network.

Jarrett Whitson
I’m Jarrett Whitson, the sports editor this semester. I’m from Blue Rapids, KS, a town of just over 1,000 people about 40 miles north of Manhattan. I’m a junior in Public Relations, and a member of FarmHouse Fraternity. I love playing and talking about sports— especially college football