K-State loses Farmageddon battle with Iowa State, 42-38

0
354

For a few minutes Saturday evening, much of the season’s turmoil and difficulties were forgotten as K-State football led Iowa State by 17 points in the annual Farmageddon game.

It’s been a lopsided series the past 10 years — K-State, time after time, has found some magic to triumph over the Cyclones. And this year, that magic seemed to be in the air with the underdog Wildcats leading an at-home Iowa State 38-21 early in the fourth quarter.

But nothing is assured, the magic quickly disappeared, and the Wildcats failed to put away their final game of the season, unable to fend off a phenomenal 21-point Iowa State comeback.

The loss brings the Wildcats’ season record to 5-7, making them ineligible for a bowl game for the first time since the 2009 season.

K-State sophomore quarterback Skylar Thompson finished the night 18-for-27 passing with 183 yards and three touchdowns. Junior running back Alex Barnes ran 28 times for 184 yards and a touchdown. Junior wide receiver Isaiah Zuber caught two touchdowns.

Freshman quarterback Brock Purdy led the Cyclones to victory behind 20-of-27 passing for 337 yards and two touchdowns, despite throwing two interceptions.

Iowa State junior running back David Montgomery ran for 149 yards and three scores, while receiver Hakeem Butler racked up 144 receiving yards and one touchdown.

Things started bleak when K-State started its first drive at its own 2-yard line after muffing the opening kickoff.

It took nearly ten minutes before anyone scored, but Iowa State scored on a one-yard touchdown pass to wide receiver Hakeem Butler to go up 7-0.

The Wildcats and Cyclones traded touchdowns to start the second quarter, before the Wildcats scored two unanswered to end the first half.

K-State’s three second quarter touchdowns consisted of running touchdowns from Alex Barnes, Skylar Thompson and a pass from Thompson to Isaiah Zuber.

At halftime, K-State led 21-14.

Iowa State running back David Montgomery opened up the second half scoring with an 11-yard touchdown run at the 12:23 mark of the third quarter to tie the game at 21.

K-State responded by scoring 17 unanswered points.

The Wildcats’ scoring tear consisted of a 36-yard Blake Lynch field goal, a nine-yard touchdown connection between Thompson and receiver Chabastin Taylor, as well as another Thompson-Zuber touchdown.

When Thompson hit Zuber in the endzone to take a 38-21 lead, that would be all she wrote for the Wildcats. For the remaining 12:27 of the game, the offense failed to score any points.

The Cyclones on the other hand had no trouble putting up points, as they rattled off three unanswered touchdowns to seal the 42-38 win.

A 3-yard touchdown pass from Purdy to Sam Seonbuchner cut the K-State lead to 10. With around eight and a half minutes remaining, Iowa State’s defense added to the scoring with a 21-yard fumble return for a touchdown.

Four minutes later, Montgomery scored his third touchdown of the game to take the lead and seal K-State’s fate.

Jarrett Whitson
I’m Jarrett Whitson, the sports editor this semester. I’m from Blue Rapids, KS, a town of just over 1,000 people about 40 miles north of Manhattan. I’m a junior in Public Relations, and a member of FarmHouse Fraternity. I love playing and talking about sports— especially college football