UPDATE: Monday morning classes cancelled at K-State’s Manhattan, Polytechnic campuses

0
2220
Anderson Hall, on Nov. 8, 2017. (File photo by Brooke Barrett | Collegian Media Group)

Update, Sunday, 4:00 p.m.: After blizzard-like conditions most of the day Sunday, Kansas State University has cancelled Monday morning classes at its Manhattan and Polytechnic campuses.

K-State’s Olathe campus will be closed all day Monday.

Classes scheduled after noon Monday are still on as scheduled, K-State said, and that is up to students to contact professors if unsafe travel conditions keep them from afternoon classes.

Severe winter weather halted activity through much of the region Sunday, with total accumulations of up to a foot expected in some spots.

Original story:

If K-State is in session Monday, it’ll be a wintery start to the last few weeks of the semester’s classes, with Manhattan expected to receive a total of 5 to 9 inches of snow throughout the rest of the day, the National Weather Service reports.

Much of the central and northeastern part of the state remains under a blizzard warning set to expire today at 6 p.m. While under a blizzard warning, severe winter weather is to be expected or is already underway, resulting in potential whiteout conditions where falling snow or snow caught by the strong winds will cause low visibility.

20181125_111036.jpg
Blizzard conditions have shut down much of Manhattan today. (Gabby Faraone | Collegian Media Group)

It is recommended that people do not travel today, but if you must travel — as many Kansas State and other post-Thanksgiving travellers are — it’s recommended that you prepare a winter survival kit.

Several area organizations have cancelled activities today, including K-State Recreational Services.

The University of Kansas cancelled Monday classes at both of its campuses. As of 2:30 p.m., K-State had not announced any cancellation of classes tomorrow, although the university said it will monitor today’s weather conditions.

“An assessment of weather conditions on the Manhattan and Polytechnic campuses will be conducted later this afternoon with regard to tomorrow,” K-State’s website said. “Updates will be announced on the K-State home page.”

K-State last cancelled classes due to weather in 2015 after heavy snowfall.

This is a developing story, and the Collegian will provide updates as information becomes available.

My name is Kaylie McLaughlin and I'm one of the Co-Editors-in-Chief. I grew up just outside of Kansas City in Shawnee, KS. I’m a sophomore in digital journalism with a minor in French and a secondary focus in international and area studies. In the past, I’ve focused primarily on multimedia journalism, but I’ve always been passionate about storytelling. I am fueled by a lot of coffee and I spend my (sparse) free time watching stand-up comedy and reading news magazines.