Campus leaders mull changes to K-State’s required sexual assault prevention program

0
168
Haley Hamilton, then-sophmore in elementary education, reads instructions on the ASAP course training program in Goodnow Hall on Aug. 26, 2015. K-State's Alcohol and Sexual Assault Prevention is used for informing students on the importance of thinking before you take action. (Archive photo by Diamond Sampson | Collegian Media Group)

Every year, Kansas State students are required to take the Alcohol and Sexual Assault Prevention program, a web-based iteration of the “Think About It” series that addresses topics such as alcohol, healthy relationships and sexual violence prevention.

The interactive and educational scenarios are designed to help students make healthy decision involving issues that could arise in college scenarios such as partying and sexual activity.

Along with making healthy decisions, the ASAP program also highlights K-State campus policies and state laws regarding sexual harassment and the reporting of other misconducts.

However, some students see ASAP as a flawed program.

“The Alcohol and Sexual Assault Prevention is a waste of time,” Megan Green, senior in agricultural communications and journalism, said. “Many students at K- State hate taking this course for a lot of reasons. In my opinion, the idea behind it is great, however, taking the same hour-long course every year is redundant and not useful.”

Lane Lundeen, Student Governing Association’s health and wellness director and sophomore in conservation biology, said while there are changes to be made in the ASAP program, he believes it is beneficial on some levels.

“While some might say it’s redundant to take this every year, it really is serving a purpose to help students,” Lundeen said. “It’s more education for students that otherwise have no understanding of alcohol use, how to cope with your friends and peers drinking behavior, sexual harassment and a whole lot of other useful things to know going through college life.”

As the ASAP program’s contract through K-State is ending in 2020, students believe this program needs an update to be more effective. There are a few different programs that SGA leaders are going over.

“We understand that there needs to be some changes that take place with the ASAP program,” Lundeen said. “It’s a long process, but changes are in the works. We are working on changing some of the content for upperclassmen who have taken it previously.”

Shelby Crampton, senior in animal sciences and industry, said she sees the benefit in having a program like ASAP, but it does not approach the issues well enough.

“As a transfer student, I didn’t really understand why it was necessary for me to take this considering I had already been in college prior,” Crampton said. “I think maybe if they find a way to approach these issues in a different way, there might be better positive feedback. I get that it’s trying to be informative and help students, but a lot of students don’t find it helpful at all.”